Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just drove an RX-8 and 350Z back to back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josh95mx
    nice!!

i drove both cars before i made my decision. RX8 all the way. not only is the 350 overpriced, but it depreciates like 7K when you drive it off the lot. and didnt feel fast to me at all. the 8 seems alot better of a car even with the low torque. you can spin the wheels all day long, with the limited slip engaged. and about over steer from the RWD the 8 totally kicks sideways, its a fun ass car and im quite happy with it. and im 6' tall and i dont have head issues.

the 350 is still sweet, just alot cheeper, needs to be more in the 28K range, not the 38K range.

my 2 cents on a 4 year old post
    The 350 is indeed overpriced, but it was fun to drive for me. As for the RX8, it made me feel cramped up for some reason. As for power, it seemed lacking or restricted. i guess that's just from driving an FD for a while...

I'm strictly divided on my two favorites: Evo 8 MR and Maz 323 BG. Comfortable and fun to drive.

'Cuz everyone knows kittens love turbos.

Comment

Bg Ftw!

Comment

I look at the 350Z, they shrunk in size compared to the early-mid 90's 300Z. Its about the size of a porsche.

As far as the RX8, I'd rather have the early 90's RX7 that has way more power except I'd rather by one without the turbos so I can put aftermarket versions instead. If those factory turbos start leaking at the seals, It cost about $2500 to replace them.

A car that I drove recently was a Mini Cooper, I was very impressed; a few things that I would change on the interior. Nice, but I don't know about the reliability factor on this vehicle. Mini motor with factory tuned headers, not bad; it has potential to beef up the power a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dijadoit
          A car that I drove recently was a Mini Cooper, I was very impressed; a few things that I would change on the interior. Nice, but I don't know about the reliability factor on this vehicle. Mini motor with factory tuned headers, not bad; it has potential to beef up the power a little bit.
          I drove a Mini S lately. It had a header and full exhuast, a smaller supercharger pulley, and some other small goodies. It had stock suspension and wheels.

I was very impressed. It was a quick car and it handled very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dijadoit
            I look at the 350Z, they shrunk in size compared to the early-mid 90's 300Z. Its about the size of a porsche.

As far as the RX8, I'd rather have the early 90's RX7 that has way more power except I'd rather by one without the turbos so I can put aftermarket versions instead. If those factory turbos start leaking at the seals, It cost about $2500 to replace them.
            ALL 1993-95 FD3S RX-7 came with twin-turbos.
            The 1986-91 FC3S had turbo and non-turbo models.

Comment

test drove/beat on a RX-8 today. I must say i am absoluetly disgusted.

firstmost the PS is a big nono- its way too light & makes the car feel as if it drives horribly uncontrollable, Secondly acceleration is pisspoor @ best. I expected alot more.

THUMBS down for the RX-8
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I haven't yet had the chance to drive either (I know a guy with one that has full suspension, i/h/e etc...should be fun when I get the chance), but the SCCA 2006 Solo Nationals B-Stock class results would stand to disagree with you
                That, and Mini's in G-stock...but what's new...

http://wheelspecs.com

Comment

I don't really like any new cars. The only new cars (under $30k) I'd drive would be an Evo 8 RS; all other car are too luxurious, heavy and underpowered for my tastes.
                  Fast, cheap, reliable: pick two.

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 130xxx miles SOLD

1990 Honda Civic SI
                  186k 10:1 hybrid motor
                  d16 on 10 pounds will turn ya out.

sigpic

Comment

dig the rex, but too cramped. good price

350Z gotta love it! 2 seats, great handling. sticker price = not friendly but then again, your paying for the name. Its a Z! They have a good reputation.

I honestly think they pulled some punches with the rex8 and think they should have kept 2 seater. imho.

Comment

wow, this is an old post that wont die, so i'll add my $.02.

rx8s are ugly, underpowered, ugly, ugly, and ugly. i dont know what mazda was thinking with this one, but they should start over again and realize what made the other rx cars so popular: two doors and good lines. the rx8 looks like a 10 year old went crazy with a protractor and forgot about it being a car, not a concept. its as bad or worse than the bangal designed bmws that came out a few years ago. . . at least bmw cleaned the lines up a bit. while i havent driven an rx8 i have ridden in one. . . and it sucked.

damn that rx8 is ugly.

i like the 350z, but not enough to buy one. ive got a friend with one that has more stuff than you can imagine on it (500hp, vortech supercharged, ohlins coilovers, alcon carbon brakes, no joke) and while its fast, handles like a slot car, and looks the part of a race car with street tires, its just not all i imagined it could be. id still rather have a z32 300zx.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by southerncross View Post
                        id still rather have a z32 300zx.
                        Amen to that! (used to have one...sold for financial reasons) I will have another one day. May I suggest picking up an NA....stay away from TT's unless you like maintenance!

Comment

as far as the rx8 goes i hope u guys r driving em like u stole em cause if your not at the redline your not driving it right. I have one and also wish it was a two seater, and a little less weight. however the backseats r convenient. As far as handleing goes, there is not a stock car that u can drive faster around the twisties safely, unless its a supercar. They are really easy to drive really fast through the corners. If u want straight line performance probably not the car for u, however they arent slow either running mid to high 14's stock. Admittedly they lack torque, but its a rotary, and not many cars can rev to 9500 off the lot, so use it if u drive it. I would like a turbo version from the factory, but not sure if that will ever happen, however there are some good aftermarket turbo systems making 400 hp. The stock brakes on this car are second to none...most aftermarket brakes for it increase stopping distances. The new renesis 16x is going to have at least 20% more torque across the whole rpm range so it would be cool if they put that in the new rx8 or whatever new rx model they have next.

Comment

Originally posted by southerncross View Post
                            wow, this is an old post that wont die, so i'll add my $.02.

rx8s are ugly, underpowered, ugly, ugly, and ugly. i dont know what mazda was thinking with this one, but they should start over again and realize what made the other rx cars so popular: two doors and good lines. the rx8 looks like a 10 year old went crazy with a protractor and forgot about it being a car, not a concept. its as bad or worse than the bangal designed bmws that came out a few years ago. . . at least bmw cleaned the lines up a bit. while i havent driven an rx8 i have ridden in one. . . and it sucked.

damn that rx8 is ugly.

i like the 350z, but not enough to buy one. ive got a friend with one that has more stuff than you can imagine on it (500hp, vortech supercharged, ohlins coilovers, alcon carbon brakes, no joke) and while its fast, handles like a slot car, and looks the part of a race car with street tires, its just not all i imagined it could be. id still rather have a z32 300zx.
                            A lot of people (myself included) like the looks of the RX-8, so I would say, Mazda did just fine. You are in the minority, sorry.
                            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

idk about that charles... its really quite hard to say who is or isn't in the minority. oh well either way its just an personal opinion.... how've you been lately?? its been awhile
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well I'd say the people who buy the car like it.

I am busy. Moving to Seattle. Gotta pack the computer. See ya in a few days.
                                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                                X