No announcement yet.

Nerd Racing's 94 Ford Aspire Work Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its actually smaller, its a 70mm or 2.75 inches. the smooth idler is actually about 3.5 or 3.75 inches

I picked up my belts today too so I'll get some installed belt pics up hopefully later on. I like to eat dinner before I work on the car, I lost about 8 pounds since I started the swap because I wasn't coming home from work and sitting down all night!
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

That'll mean more clearance for my axle what year aspire did you order it for? or does it matter what year?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

it shouldnt matter which year.

Comment

^^ what he said, its the AC idler pulley.
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

lookin good man! just flying through!
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Small update, only had 2 hours to work on it tonight.

Cut up the 626 front trans bracket to clear the radiator support and the aspire sway bar. It is shown with a poly filled protege trans mount (not sure if its the front or the rear for them):

Then I decided I didn't like the thickness of the piece of angle steel I had so I made my own from a 3" square 1/4" wall tubing piece I have had for a while:

Drilled a couple holes for the mount to attach to it:

And it will be bolted through the radiator support and 3 gussets will be welded in for rigidity (not that it needs it). Yes I know I cut crooked, its hard to cut straight with an angle grinder with a cutting disk made for a circular saw in use. I'll grind it and make it pretty after I pick up a grinding disk tomorrow.

once this is in place I'll mount up the radiator and finalize brackets for the hood latch/tie piece.
              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Well I drilled my holes for the rest of the front lower mount and ground it down for gussets to be welded in. then my sawzall died so i was unable to cut the gussets out. Its in place right now though and looks decent:

Then I decided to at least make the top radiator mounting brackets for the volvo radiator, believe it or not I made the plates without the latch in place and it came out looking like I clearanced it that way:

Yes I know I bent the heck out of the upper fins... next time I will do it with the bumper cover off... Cracked and scratched the heck out of my molded grill too.

The bottom will be quite easy to do, just going to run some angle steel and bolt it to the radiator and then the pinch weld for the radiator support lower bar.

A shot of under the hood:

Its starting to come together!
                1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

almost there already! great work.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Lookin good!! I'm hopin to fire mine up this weekend

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

^^ I'd be hoping for that too (minus axles and some clutch lines so no driving around) but a female friend of mine from college decided out of the blue to call me and say she was coming to visit for the weekend.
                      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
                        ^^ I'd be hoping for that too (minus axles and some clutch lines so no driving around) but a female friend of mine from college decided out of the blue to call me and say she was coming to visit for the weekend.
                        well I suppose that's a good reason lol. I should be able to move my car around under it's own power but coolant lines aren't done so no test drives yet

Comment

I figured out my top coolant line today, gotta throw the exhaust Y-pipe in to figure the lower out, and the remote fill from the 626 is going to be used on the radiator, all I need for that though is some 5/8" heater core hose and a good way to route it to keep out of the belts.
                          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

You guys are killing me. For my BG its a drop in affair and you guys are almost done. FML
                            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I wish it was a drop in affair for me, life would be so much easier, I looked all over this half of the country for a decent 323 less than $1000 over the summer, but couldn't find one. Now I'm kinda glad I didn't.
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

The car is going to be such a slap in the face to anyone that tries lol
                                Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                                "Who Dey"

Comment

Working...
                                X