Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Larry

Comment

I just changed the spark plugs on my GLC that I somehow forgot to do so I know the feeling! Did you finish the brake upgrade yet? It's the next thing on my list as well!
      1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
      Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
      R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

Originally posted by BFMRGTX View Post
        Hi Larry
        Hi Terry!!!! Miss you. Hope you are well. We should try to organize some car meet again. I would love to go to another event or venue. I'm hoping to buy an RV soon, so maybe I can travel more easily to some? Wouldn't THAT be cool.... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Crazypunkerguy View Post
          I just changed the spark plugs on my GLC that I somehow forgot to do so I know the feeling! Did you finish the brake upgrade yet? It's the next thing on my list as well!
          Unfortunately, no, I haven't gotten to the brake upgrade yet. It's still on my bucket list, but I've got so many other things going right now, I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

Comment

Anybody ever install an MSD Ignition box on their car? What did you think? Worthwhile? I'm tempted to get one for my Christmas present this year. Let me know.

Comment

So, I recently (like this afternoon) checked on a craigslist posting and went to go test drive an '88 323 2-dr HB LX. The body's in pretty good shape... a few surface rust spots, one small ding on the roof. All glass is good. Engine is practically shot. Runs smooth but the head probably needs rebuilding if not the rings too. Started right up. Drove okay (as far as the eninge is concerned, burt smoked. 5-speed. Hydraulic clutch felt pretty cool compared to my cable clutch. Originally Canadian and an LX so it has a couple of cool features that weren't super common in the states as far as my memory of these cars go.

Really tempted to buy it and swap all my good parts from my GT onto it. Can't make up my mind. I have the blessing of my wife to buy the car if I wanted to. That's one of the biggest hurdles! I just don't know what to do! Can't make up my mind.... What do you guys think?

The car is 200 - 300 pounds lighter than my GT. That would help my performance and gas mileage (which is already great as far as I'm concerned), but without doing one more thing to the engine, the car would be faster. Sounds like a lot of work though. Hmmmmmm.....
              Last edited by LN323; 01-01-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't Larry your gt body is really clean.. When there is a little rust you tend to open up a can of worms fixing it.. swapping everything over is a lot of work but it's all a pretty straight forward swap.

Comment

You want to spend money on another car so you can "save money on gas"?

Or are you just bored?

Comment

Bored? NO!!! I have soooo much going on, it's not even funny, but adding something to that list of things to do that I really look forward to because of the potential outcome, the reward, the enjoyment, the pride and the pleasure of driving it makes it seem like a pretty good idea. And I thought I was the old (wise) one on this forum. You guys are sounding like my dad. LOL.... Practical, utilitarian, common sense over adventure.

Do you know how many guys on this forum have swapped motors? Including you guys? So, are you speaking from experience that it may not be worth it? But, aren't you better for the experience? I was just reading on another thread where a new member has a plain jane 323 and guys are encouraging him to swap in a B6-T instead of trying to make a SOHC B6 turbo (like I did). At least I have all the parts. I don't have to go shopping for anything major. It's all sitting out there in my driveway already. And, I would get to pick the best parts from two cars before even having to consider going to the yard or worse yet the dealer.

The things that are holding me back are more like.... would I have to swap the harness or could I just add a wire or two? The HB is an LX which makes me feel as though it has one of the most complete harnesses ever put into this model. The question is.... what extra wires might be needed for the turbo configuration? If I don't have to swap harnesses, that's huge in terms of time and effort in my mind. Most of the other stuff is plug-n-play or bolt off-bolt on kind of stuff.

As for getting both cars functional again.... well, that's an option unless someone wants my GT body to use pretty much whole. I would even leave my awesome stereo in it and the alarm system, tinted power windows, glass sun-roof, all of the interior except for my GTX buckets, and more. I would even use it as barter in case someone wanted to really do the lion's share of ehlping me with this wild-ass hair idea of mine. I may keep the SOHC motor and 5-speed tranny for something else (a slightly modded Festiva commuter?). I would take my brakes though and most of my suspension and probably my Isuzu bumper unless I can come up with another intake design where I wouldn't feel like I had to put my FMIC down in the front.
                    Last edited by LN323; 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

You want to spend money on another car so you can "save money on gas"?
                      I'm thinking more long term..... Not only could I possibly have a lightening fast, fun, fuel effifient tuner but I also might eventually be able to build up a little Festiva using the rebuilt 1.6L B6 with 5-spd. Lots of my friends are going to electric and hybrid cars and I am a gas-guy. It would be my high mileage, zippy commuter. Actually more like a grocery-getter since I'm hopefully only about 2 - 3 years away from retiring. I'm thinking long term such that I wouldn't have to spend gobs of money on a newer car.

Do I need to keep rationalizing for you? LOL....

Comment

LMFAO

Two posts to address my two lines?

I do believe that I'm right:

YOU'RE BORED.

Comment

LMFAO

Two posts to address my two lines?

I do believe that I'm right:

YOU'RE BORED.
                          But at least this way I won't be bored for the first few years of retirement! I'll have plenty to keep me occupied.

Comment

Originally posted by LN323 View Post
                            But at least this way I won't be bored for the first few years of retirement! I'll have plenty to keep me occupied.

Upgrade your ride, buy a new car. I'm stoked at all the aftermarket support for my new car. It should keep me busy for a long time.

Comment

Geeeeeze Larry...can't be that tough. Why would you want to tear up a GT. Buy the hatch and dump a B6T in it. The only harness you need to swap is the ECU harness. All of the 323's came wired for all the stuff except CC and the adj struts. How much is the LX hatch?. Terry is right also...put the $$ in the clean GT and then if the hatch comes into the picture just rebuild the sohc for the MPG car....or buy a new car if you need to spend some dough...it aught to be paid for by the time you retire cuz the wifey is gonna wanna travel and stuff.

Comment

I've talked the seller down to $500 for the hatch. How hard is it to switch the wiring harness to the engine?

Comment

Working...
                                X