My KLZE Ford Festiva build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
    Hopefully tonight i'll get to work on the car to test fit the headers, i just hope they clear the steering rack lol
    it will probably be very close. my ebays clear my steering rack by literally 3mm.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

Well i did get around to test fitting the headers tonight, the front one fits great

The rear..... not so much

Although theres plenty of room for the intermediate shaft which is great

As you can see it hits the steering rack and the flang isn't flat against the head yet, so just like everything else i will modify it to make it work :lol:

But i'm loving seeing 2 manifolds coming out of my tiny engine bay lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I want to hear some open header vids so don't button up that exhaust just yet! :D
        2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
          I want to hear some open header vids so don't button up that exhaust just yet! :D
          don't you worry the exhaust is the last thing to get done

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Just read this whole thread. I was going to do this swap with my k8 from my mx3, but unfortunately I had to sell the stiva to fund my mx3 build(it now is an elecrtic car in chicago, lol!). Im so glad someone else had the nads to even concieve this (much less build it) other than me. I still hav my k8 and i just may have to hang onto it till I get another festiva. It won't be as sweet as a ze, but it'll look just as menacing, lol! Awesome job, can't wait for completion.
            check out my worklog:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67527

Comment

the rear isn't off by too much tho!!! that's awesome.

oh i saw at canadian tire the female end to the exhaust flanges, so you can make your exhaust setup

here's a pic of what i mean lol http://image.carcraft.com/f/9219702+...all_flange.jpg
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Are those pacesetter headers?
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Bahhh you don't need no stinking steering rack, just get rid of it!

Actually those headers are really going to look great, what do you think your going to have to do to modify the rear one, cut the flange off and shorten the header slightly?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                    Are those pacesetter headers?
                    Yup they are

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                    the rear isn't off by too much tho!!! that's awesome.

oh i saw at canadian tire the female end to the exhaust flanges, so you can make your exhaust setup

here's a pic of what i mean lol http://image.carcraft.com/f/9219702+...all_flange.jpg
                    Awesome! Thanks Jack those should work great

Originally posted by 93LXDOHC View Post
                    Just read this whole thread. I was going to do this swap with my k8 from my mx3, but unfortunately I had to sell the stiva to fund my mx3 build(it now is an elecrtic car in chicago, lol!). Im so glad someone else had the nads to even concieve this (much less build it) other than me. I still hav my k8 and i just may have to hang onto it till I get another festiva. It won't be as sweet as a ze, but it'll look just as menacing, lol! Awesome job, can't wait for completion.
                    Thank you i can't wait for it to be done either lol

Well here's how i modified the header to clear the steering rack, i cut the pipe bent it til i closed the gap and welded it back together

And when installed, theres now tons of clearance for the steering rack

But i went too far and now it doesn't clear my axle

So tomorrow i'll be moving it back towards the rack so it'll work
                    Last edited by Damkid; 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Looks good to me, just need to check those clearances before you reweld it all.

Comment

I had the header at work so i couldn't check the clearances but i should get it right tomorrow (hopefully)

Comment

almost made em fit lol
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Getting close!

Comment

Got it right this time fits perfect now!!

I also brought some other parts into work that needed a bit of work, since i had to cut around the rad support for clearance for the alt. etc. i lost the bolt holes for the trim piece below the headlight and 2 out of 4 mounting holes for the headlight itself

In this pic you can see how i moved the bracket over and re-welded it, and that metal is extremely thin so it burned through very easily

And a self-tapping screw to bolt it in place

For the headlight i welded a little tab on it to make a good point to bolt it to the body and it works pretty good

And everything looks factory again once all the pieces are put back on

Once i got those little detail things taken care of, i pulled the engine back out so i can change out the broken water outlet on the engine

And what a PITA it is to get to, i have to take all the timing belt pulleys off in order to get to the bolts

and the new part ready to go on

i got the new one installed and got most of the pulley's back on but i had to stop so i could pick up my girlfriend from work (she'd be pissed if i was late lol), so i'll finish it up tomorrow

Comment

HTS-2000 Use this if you ever need to fix aluminum again. Saves ****loads of time for me. I use this stuff alot and it has always worked fine, just as long as its not a very high temp area. 99 percent of the time your not gonna put in a place thats to hot.
                                ah, it's wonderful driving a car that goes slow.. makes it easier to aim for the old people crossing the street

Comment

Working...
                                X