No announcement yet.

Joe's 1988 323 GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the engine hurt?Just want to let you know I have no affiliation with the guy who sold you or your dad that car,that motor ran good in my hands.

Comment

I couldn't tell you TBH, since is was bought it has been sitting in the garage. But most likely it will need work. And don't worry, it's just an engine haha! It can always be fixed.

So, a few things.

I contacted a guy named Ralph from CSC Racing and he said he should be able to come up will a roll cage for the car that's lightweight and will pass CASC Regional race spec. Does anyone have any experience with this guy?

Also, I am planning on not having any carpet in the car so I was trying to find a product that I can spray the inside of the car with where it will protect it and still look good. I am going to paint the car some sort of Gray/Gun Metal color so I was thinking the inside should be some sort of blueish gray color? I've never done a project like this before so I am not to familiar with it. Let alone work with a 323 GTX.

I would like to keep the original 1.6L engine and just build that engine to it's full potential. So what's in the car now has to come out get disassembled and rebuilt from scratch. I want to re run all the wires and hide them as much as possible this way I have a clean finish. Basically, have that show car finish with the power to back it up.

I'm not planning to rally the car, I'd like to autoX it though so that's something I have to plan for. I'm still only young and I have little to no experience with the 323 GTX. I am the DIY type of person so most of the work will be done by me with help from friends and family. Except for the things that I don't have the tools to do. Ex. Build the roll cage.

So that's why I came here, I can't really afford to do something to the car everyday or every week so I wont be having tons of updates but I would like to do something as much as possible. And any advice from you guys would be great.

That being said is there anything I should know before I go head first into this Project?

"Edit: Would I be better off getting the 1.8L Engine, and build that? It seems like almost everyone on here is doing that?"
      Last edited by Joe TJR; 12-26-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

1.8 makes more power with a lot less effort

NW MAZDAS

Comment

How much will a 1.8 cost, and does anyone is Toronto area have one for sale?

Comment

you can find one for cheap im sure, but its not a direct bolt-on affair.. im sure some people on here would know better than myself on how to do the swap

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Yeah, I've read a few threads showing how to do the swap. So the hard part is finding the engine in good condition :p

Comment

I sat down and thought about it and I am going to stick with the B6T

So Nick I was wondering what parts do you have for sale? :p

Comment

I do still have a complete longblock,dirty as all hell with at least 220kms but ran and sounded like a good old german made sewing machine

Comment

I'm going to keep the engine I have unless it blows up haha!

Nick do you have a thread started about your car? I'd like to read it.

Comment

So it's been a while since I updated this thread.

Unfortunately I didn't do any more work on the car it's still sitting on my driveway waiting for the warm weather. I did change the radiator, because mine was leaking everywhere so I just took the one from my dad's car and swapped them.

Besides that no good news yet!

Comment

Quick update, the car is going to be going in for soda blasting and then the body work begins! So while that's being done it's time to work on getting all the parts I need for the Engine and Suspension components. Nick I know I was supposed to come up and look at some parts that you have, do you still have parts laying around? Also if anyone in the GTA area has parts for a 323 GTX, Engine/Body/Suspension let me know!

Thanks.

Comment

Looks clean, good luck!

Comment

NEED PARTS!!!

My dad and I are looking for quite a bit of parts so if anyone in the GTA area has the following please let me know.

- Front Fenders
                            - Hood
                            - Hatch
                            - Glass Sunroof
                            - 2x 1.8L Bpt
                            - Rear Quarters

Also, for the Rear Quarters, is it possible to buy them anywhere or do you have to make them?

And last but not least, anyone in the GTA area who is basically a Guru with the 1.8L Bpt or know of someone who is?

Comment

I got my rear clip from a place called 'the chop shop" i think it cost me around $1200 inclunding doors well over a decade ago.they supposedly score them down in georgia.my rear quarters after removed were spotless inside,i found nothing but dried mud.pretty sure it was a 86.you might want to consider a complete car either down south or sent by train from bc. these heaps are extinct in our area today.
                              joe,where are you located?I'm in oakville.I'm in no way a guru with bpts though i did 2 installs in my car,b6ts were my bag with the gtxs and miatas.but if your nearby maybe i can swing by with my car,let ya take a look and help ya out with some ideas.

Comment

Yeah, I'll have to keep an eye out for a scrap car. My dads car seems to need more parts than mine. I think the rust on mine is repairable, I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them.

And I'm located in Toronto, but go to school in Oakville (Sheridan) And hey, if your willing to come down on the weekend sometime that'd be great. Both of us have the b6ts in our cars now, I'd like to keep mine but he's wanting the bpt.

Thank's.

Comment

Working...
                                X