No announcement yet.

project "retrofit"...the story of an 88 GTX restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car looks great, glad you saved it. That PLX gauge, doesn't it just run OBDII info?
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

looks awesome where abouts in NY?

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
        Car looks great, glad you saved it. That PLX gauge, doesn't it just run OBDII info?
        no, you can use the regular sensor modules with it as well.

I'm in Binghamton.
        I'm a milling machine!

Comment

pretty lame update...

Replaced the headlight bulbs, door and trunk weather stripping, ball joints, replaced the seats, and installed seat heaters...Also got the stock radio put back in, but it's not working correctly. Need to check the wiring to the speakers tomorrow..
          I'm a milling machine!

Comment

Really like the PLX install

Comment

thanks. and someday I'll get the wideband welded in, lol.

But I did get new studded winter tires put on. Forgot how awesome these cars are in the snow!
              I'm a milling machine!

Comment

So been a while since I've updated this thread, but certainly hasn't been becasue of a lack of interest in my car. On the contrary, I've been enjoying driving it too much! So last I left off, I had just gotten snow tires...well that's not going to fly during the summer months, so I got some new shoes for the 'ol lady.

Genuine Enkei 92s. 15x7 with a +38 offset. They sit out past the fender a tiny bit, but I still have full steering range without rubbing

Rubber is BFGoodrich Gforce sportcomp2's

I also had the tranny mount fail, so I needed to fix that. Here's how it came out. Probably looks familiar to some of you

Not wanting to have to deal with this again, I didn't even check the dealership to see if this is something you can still buy. So how does one fix an already broken mount? Make a new one of course. So I machined a bushing from some 80A polyurethane I had kicking around (becasue who DOESN'T keep polyurethane around the house? )

installed and she's good as new again. In fact the car is much more responsive, and shifts better too!

Can't say how much I love this little car. Can't wait to get the rest of the suspension bushings in and get it aligned so I can have some real fun with it.
                I'm a milling machine!

Comment

The Enkeis look great. Nice work on the mount too, does that stuff machine easily without melting? I've been meaning to buy some stock and experiment.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

It's super easy to machine...if you have the right tool. I custom ground some HSS bits for those mounts. If you're interested I can snap some pictures of them.
                    I'm a milling machine!

Comment

Please do. I have a bunch of HSS blanks I can mess around making different tools.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

pretty much want a VERY steep rake angle., and it peels it off in a continuous string. like these:

I also ground mine at a slight angle to direct the chip away from the tool center.
                        I'm a milling machine!

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a shot.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2
                          sigpic
                          1992 Familia GT-X
                          1988 323 GTX
                          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Awesome, I dig the project! Great job on the mounts!
                            1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
                            Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
                            R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

thanks man. I just found that my lower motor mount is broke as well. so just ordered more polyurethane to replace the other mounts. Also ordered my HID projector kit. Should fun next weekend when I have all these parts to make.
                              I'm a milling machine!

Comment

So an fun weekend it's been so far. Spent a good majority of the day yesterday making new motor mounts. Here's the lower culprit before/after, that I found out about last week:

Decided to check the upper mount as well, and it was well on it's way to failure as well.

So fabricated a new one of those as well. All installed and working well:

This is how I clean the rubber off the pins:

and the project for the rest of today:
                                I'm a milling machine!

Comment

Working...
                                X