No announcement yet.

1988 GTX Restoration - Going To Be Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's quite a difference. But aren't you missing a support at the bonnet catch?
    '87 Mazda 323 SL - daily driver, backup show car (being restored as I get time)
    '82 BMW 518i (E12/8) with 32/34 Weber and Simota cone - old show car (stolen)
    '70 VW 411L Auto - show/restoration project to replace 518i - sold
    '99 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - show project

Comment

Originally posted by JKuhn View Post
      That's quite a difference. But aren't you missing a support at the bonnet catch?
      I am, my car didn't have one when I bought it, so will fabricate a new one at home out of aluminum - good eye!

Comment

Must be a pain to close the bonnet like that. Do you have the measurements? Mine might be slightly bent (it's a front smash car), but just shout if you need some measurements (it'll have to be after the next few days though, working 12 hour shifts doesn't leave spare time).
        '87 Mazda 323 SL - daily driver, backup show car (being restored as I get time)
        '82 BMW 518i (E12/8) with 32/34 Weber and Simota cone - old show car (stolen)
        '70 VW 411L Auto - show/restoration project to replace 518i - sold
        '99 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - show project

Comment

A few updates on my car:

1) Installed a powder coated cross member with new polyurethane bushings that I modified from another car project
          2) Installed the power coated front sway bar
          3) Finally finished refurbishing the "Road Race Engineering" badge. A neat fact being my car was a test mule for them many years ago (in the '90s and early 2000s) when they offered performance parts for the BF and a competitor to Corksport.

Comment

That made a huge difference under there! Looks good.

Comment

i like the change in color scheme.
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Happy New Year to everyone.

I thought I should update this thread as I continue to improve and develop my car, I have added some items and upgraded a few things over the past few months.

Firstly, I added a short throw shifter with all new bushings. This was made by Jeff Sylvester.

And the video:

Next I added a pair of adj. cam gears that were made by James Bell. I also threw on a new timing belt and water pump as I had it all apart.

And the video:

Next Up was a new set of K-Sport Coilovers:

I had to make all the brake line brackets as the generic K-Sport ones do not work on the BF (sadly!).

Fun picture:

And lastly...just completed yesterday.
                  This took 10 hours to install and my hands are sliced up but pleased with the results.

The fabric is Alcantara with red deviated stitching - all done by hand by a local upholstery shop here in Houston. I believe I have one of the few GTXs with a dash like this. My original dash cap was blistering and badly cracking, so it was time!

Comment

You hit on a few subjects that I am working on right now.

What K sport suspension setup did you get? I was looking at the $800 plus street setup, however was concerned about the spring rates being off per what they spec'd. Plus the photos online were NOT the struts actually available....can you provide more information and possibly photos of the units before you put them on if you have them?

And how did you red crinckle finish your cam cover? Looks awesome.

Love the IP covering, how much did that run? Looks like the side vents are a little tight, did you have to sand any flange surfaces to make them fit? The Alcantara should stop the reflections in the windshield, although black would be my choice for that.

HNY! We may be the last ones on this forum here!

Comment

Thank you @steveracer and Happy New Year as well.

I bought the K-Sport streets and I paid $893. The part number: #221813511591. The strut is the black housing as per my pictures, do you need additional pictures?

I had my local powder coater finish the valve cover and intake manifold in red wrinkle, they came out great.

The dash cover in Alcantara with the red stitching set me back about $400, the vents are a smidge tight and in the picture above, I have it mocked up as I did not want to force it in and crack the plastic. It will require some delicate sanding to fit flush. I chose grey as black is a little too somber for me and I prefer light interior colors that flow with the seat upholstery.

Hopefully this forum stay afloat...I know traffic on here is really really light, with Social Media taking off.

Comment

Are those struts, front and rear, with some rubber insulators to the top caps or just metal on metal pillow balls or bearings? I want a quiet ride not hearing the road noise on my car. There aren''t many options at this point other than a custom build.

I bought KYB stock fronts and 626 rears a month ago....returned them because I saw this setup.

Again, the photos on the K Sport web site were bogus, and the email I received from them was like they don't care and have a great day....

Comment

^ if you want a quiet ride get all factory stuff and sound deaden the car
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I missed the pictures from just after the new year! Nice work getting the interior put back together, and i really like the dash covering. thats a nice touch!! how much different is the throw with the new shifter??

Comment

Thank-you!!
                              The shifter is crisper and the throw is reduced by about 20%

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                                ^ if you want a quiet ride get all factory stuff and sound deaden the car
                                No need to sound deaden. That is not what I am looking for and is over the top for this car. Maybe my Bentley, but not the GTX. I did use the OEM top hats front and rear and there is no additional noise from the new parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X