bringing the 88 gtx back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bringing the 88 gtx back from the dead

i'm going to try and put all of the info on my gtx in here, we'll start with the backstorythis is going to be LONG)

side note: for current progress, i've started putting this info up on youtube for anyone to see, i know someone can benefit from something there https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6l..._as=subscriber

years ago I ended up buying a 2003 protege 5 brand new and did a bunch of things to it. actually ended up with two protege5's. anyway at this time i was always seeing people with AWD 323's across the big pond and wanted to make mine AWD. years go by and a 323 gtx is all but forgotten.

i'm at home, waiting on the GF at the time to show up. she shows up, in a little red hatchback. hmmmmm. i happen to see her pull up through the window and was wondering what red car just pulled into my driveway, she hops out and comes inside. excuse me is that a GTX?!?! of course she says yes. come to find out her dad had owned the car for years and she had actually learned to drive on it. what are the odds. so her dad daily drove the car for many years, before that her uncle daily drove it for many years, and before that his best friend drove it from new for about 3 years. after meeting her father and talking to him about the car, he first was shocked that i knew what it was and at least the basics about the car. over the course of a few months every time i would see him i would say "if you ever want to sell that car, let me know" fast forward about a year or so, gf and I are no longer together, haven't spoken to her father in a while. I get a text that he's thinking about selling the gtx.....YES PLEASE. this however, came at a bad time and i didn't have money laying around to toss at another car(i was in the process of getting rid of my fb rx7 for an FC rx7) long story short we worked out a deal that worked for me and him. in reality he just wanted the car to go to someone that would take care of it and get it back in good running condition as it was starting to need some major work.

one to when i got the car:

I show up to pick it up and drive it back to my house, car had sat unused in his garage for about 6 months now. at this time the problems he told me were:

knocking from wheels(he guessed bearings)
    brakes aren't working that well
    gauge cluster doesn't work
    he was more worried about the passenger headlight not lining up correctly than anything else

we start to tear into the car, first up was to see what we'd need to buy for this thing, we looked into the brakes first. rears were just destroyed, calipers and all, they were frozen solid. bearings we were going to do one way or the other, add that to the list. front calipers SEEMED fine so we went past those for now. shocks were not doing the shock thing, and was like driving a boat. digital dash was 100% dead. while going through all of the other things in the car we noticed water on the drivers floor, figured out it was coming from the windshield seal. along with that we noticed a rust hole on the driver and passenger sides just behind the wheel wells(front)

so as of right now, not too bad of a list, but still a decent amount:
    pads and rotors
    bearings
    gauge cluster
    shocks
    rear calipers
    windshield seal
    RUST

seems like an easy restoration right? disclaimer, i knew nothing of how hard it was to find parts for these cars until i started looking for them, feel free to laugh now, or cry. whatever you prefer

will continue shortly in second reply. as i said, this has been one hell of a long story in the past few months
    Last edited by skurge; 10-18-2019, 09:53 AM.
    2018 STI | Stock DD
    1987 RX-7 Sport | Full BP
    1988 323 GTX | constant work in progress

so me not knowing much about the gtx's and how hard it is to find parts started to do some digging, at this point i had no found the gtx yahoo group or came here for help. well this is going to be easy i thought.

pads, rotors, bearings, shocks, rear calipers. all order up without issue, or so i thought.

as i'm waiting for parts to arrive we get the back of the car on jack stands and start to rip it apart, here's where we noticed the rear upper shock mounts were pretty crusty and i would rather not reuse them if i was getting new shocks and such. no worries ordered those up as well

so here we are taking apart the rear suspension, oops, rear springs came out in two pieces. more parts to add to the list...here's the point i got worried. I did some searching and could not find any drop in springs or even lowering springs. as a last resort i called up ground control and they were able to help me, whew, coilovers are on the way.

fast forward to all of the parts arriving, we go to put them back in........
    bearings, uh oh, stuck on the hubs. now here i'm not sure why i didn't look around for a bearing puller but i ended up ordering 4 new hubs, no big deal right?

we move on to the suspension, rear shocks are 100% not correct. i call up the company after some research, turns out no one makes the shocks....great. along with the shocks I pull out the rotors...oh guess what those are wrong also, luckily the company just shipped the wrong ones, so those are on the way at that point. so at this moment i've shipped all 4 shocks back, and the rear rotors to swap for new ones

fast forward a week, after getting in touch with a couple of awesome dudes on the gtx yahoo group, i had a custom set of shocks with mr-2 inserts, camber plates and an analog cluster on the way.
    2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

glad to hear there is still support with the gtx yahoo group. there were alot of smart cookies in that years back
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        glad to hear there is still support with the gtx yahoo group. there were alot of smart cookies in that years back
        the few guys i've dealt with have been great.

I'll type up the rest when i have some time, as i said its been a long process so far

current state of the car, she's pretty low
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20190923_152613.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	1245808
        Attached Files
        Last edited by skurge; 10-18-2019, 10:26 PM.
        2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

get yourself some helper springs in there to take up the slack between the spring and the top hat.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            get yourself some helper springs in there to take up the slack between the spring and the top hat.
            the coils aren't adjusted where you see them on the car now. when setting the car down from jacks or whatever, you just have to be careful to line up the perches with the springs and you are fine, i'm not planning on taking this car offroad and jumping it like the STI does. strictly going to be a street car. if it seems to be bad, I do have a slightly longer set of springs(1.5" maybe) that came off of another GTX that i can use, I wanted to try out the brand new ones that ground control recommended.
            2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

Timed your post nicely there.

Comment

i picked up some really weak helper springs for maybe $40 . something just enough to keep the springs in place. im not offroading either. but it sure saves a headache

Comment

What Ryan said. I had a similar setup on my GT years ago and it rattled like crazy just normal driving going over bumps, etc. Had to reset the springs ever so often.
                  Mazda
                  1988 Black 323 GT
                  DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
                    What Ryan said. I had a similar setup on my GT years ago and it rattled like crazy just normal driving going over bumps, etc. Had to reset the springs ever so often.
                    i've put about 50 or so miles on the car on and off since the suspension was done. no rattles so far. could be due to my shocks being pretty stiff as well, who knows

if there ends up to be issues, i'll fix them. at this time this is just a fun car and probably will only see a few hundred miles a year. a few rattles and creaks wont hurt me much there lol
                    2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

to keep away from another long winded post to get things caught up, i'm going to go over this quickly..

all of the parts are on the car, except two problems:

i have not gotten the rusted e-brake cables off of the car as they seem to be buried above the driveshaft and exhaust(oh fun) due to this i cannot get the car inspected. secondly one of the rotors was cracked and that has been a downright hassle to get replaced.

brakelabs.com is where i got my rotors from, which were incorrect the first time, they sent me the correct ones and refunded my money. now seeing as one of the new ones they sent me was cracked. of course they are out of stock with as they put it "no ETA" on when they will be back in stock so now i'm stuck buying another set of rotors, much fun. which seem to no longer be available, so i think i'm screwed here
                      2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

well i got the knock off who knows where they are from rotors in today, hopefully they are correct and i can get this thing over to the garage to be stored away for the winter, fingers crossed

i'll post up the part numbers if they end up being the right ones as from the research i've done, its the only stock option left

i have probably the last raybestos rear rotor on this planet sitting at home in the box, if anyone needs one rotor.

on a lighter note, i took the STI out for a spin in a field and did some grass removal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQm6QEjglX8&
                        2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

some turbo sounds for you now that she's running well, and before she goes away for the winter
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

Zoinks!! Another intergenerational New York GTX! Broke up w/ GF , got GTX consolation prize (hilarious). Your new 'Mature' Japanese 'girlfriend' (looks clean!) is going to be demanding :-). I am currently the 'Stewart'/Guardian of my late father's '88 GTX (in Long Island). Keep us posted - Fun Story. I have a few bits laying about if you have a 'needed' list as does a great bloke from the Yahoo Groups (I believe he is on Club Protege as well... Jim C. from Woodstock NY - I ran up there a couple years ago to get a rear hub assembly). Kanpai!

Comment

Originally posted by #89 View Post
                              Zoinks!! Another intergenerational New York GTX! Broke up w/ GF , got GTX consolation prize (hilarious). Your new 'Mature' Japanese 'girlfriend' (looks clean!) is going to be demanding :-). I am currently the 'Stewart'/Guardian of my late father's '88 GTX (in Long Island). Keep us posted - Fun Story. I have a few bits laying about if you have a 'needed' list as does a great bloke from the Yahoo Groups (I believe he is on Club Protege as well... Jim C. from Woodstock NY - I ran up there a couple years ago to get a rear hub assembly). Kanpai!
                              I have leaned on the yahoo group guys a lot, they have helped me out a TON. a lot of it was just figured out on my own by doing a ton of research, wasn't easy!
                              2018 STI | Stock DD

Comment

Working...
                              X