1988 Mazda 323 GTX Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Mazda 323 GTX Build

I recently came across a 1988 323 GTX and am starting to get into the build! This GTX joins my 87' RX-7 Turbo II, 90' b2200 Pickup, and my daily 18' Mazda3 Hatch. I sadly sold my 90' Miata to make space for (and fund) the GTX, but so far am VERY happy with the decision to do so.

Some background on the GTX - The cars history is a bit of a mystery and pretty interesting. Originally a California car this GTX at some point made it to NH and now is in Vermont. It's past mod list is pretty fuzzy but it has a JDM GT-R drivetrain swap allegedly performed by Cork Sport back in the day. Cork Sport was not able to verify this as their records do not go back that far. It also has some sort of large front brake conversion that I haven't quite figured out yet. I got the car from its previous owner of 8 years, pretty much all of which was storage as the car did not run quite right for him.

The car does run and drive but once it warms up and goes into closed loop mode displays some throttle hesitation. Most likely due to some of the less desirable wiring that can be found throughout the engine bay.

Plans for the car - turbo with supporting mods, intake, custom exhaust and intake piping, wheels, suspension, and a stand alone ECU to start. Also some dent removal as the drivers side front fender and door have some good dings.

Here are some pics of what I'm starting with
    Attached Files
    Last edited by toofer89; 10-31-2019, 09:07 AM.

damn, nice n clean for its age. a few mods too!! good score
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
    X