No announcement yet.

2.0 f series in bf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

supposedly there is a KIA g-series FWD trans that will bolt up to the FE3 and then you would need some custom axles since you have a narrower BF.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

kia cams aren't de-tuned. kia cams are infact better then most jap FE3's you'll import.
      FE5A cams are the best OEM but usually only found from europe.

the kia motor is really only good after you add fwd bits onto it.
      you can order a MLS gasket to fix that coolant difference if need be
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

your best bet is to start with a REAL mazda sourced fwd fe3. otherwise starting with the kia motor, there's a long list of fe3 fwd parts you will need to source to do the swap. plus the kia stuff is lack luster in general. you will save alot of time and work just starting with a fwd imported fe3.

for a fwd trans. source any 2.2 trans off a 88-92 probe, mx6, or 626. if you want a G series. buy it off a 2.2 n/a. if you want to upgrade to the big daddy H series trans, get it from the 2.2 turbo. and for reference, the H series is the largest fwd trans from mazda to date.

to my knowledge, no fwd kia trans fits the fe3. here in the states, your only option is the f2 g series, and the f2t H series trans. or if you wanted to get really technical, a older 83-87 626 with the FE motor, the trans should bolt up since it shares the bell housing shape. but thats about the weakest thing you would ever want attached to a fe3. lol
        Last edited by monoxidechild; 10-16-2009, 11:56 PM.
        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
        What are you driving?

Comment

oh, there are plenty of fwd kia trans out there, but from what I have read on mx-6, the tranny out of a 626/mx-6 is a direct bolt up. But that leaves he axles. Does anyone know if the cv joints from a mx6 fit the hubs of a bf?

Comment

I don't think they do but iirc you can convert to mx6 hubs
            12 cbr250r: daily ride
            01 saab 9-3: daily
            98 gsxr 1100: for sale
            93L: money pit/ space waster
            92GL: low and slow beater
            90?: the rust free shell
            89LX: swapping to rust free shell
            89L: for sale
            89L: parts
            87 conquest: dohc 4g64 swap underway
            76+80 vw dashers: for sale

Comment

the mx6 2.2. NA G transmission & axel's would be your closest bet of anything.

26 spline inner/outers
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

must be an echo? lol
                ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                What are you driving?

Comment

I happen to have an H series tranny from my mx6gt days. Probably won't get rid of it but I can take measurements if you need.

Should also add that mx6.com used to be a huge source of FE3 discussion. Not sure where its all gone now, been years since I've been there. Even in its detuned form, just to have one in a BF would be unreal.

another edit, according to car-part there is a plethora of them in the Boise area, cheap too.
                  Last edited by sethro_GT; 11-12-2009, 12:26 AM.
                  88 323 GT - 03 Protege5 - 07 Mazda 5

Comment

v6 that ho! lol

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

in a race my money would be on the FE3

Comment

Still loosely seeking an FE3 power plant, but things like a proper head gasket and appropriate coolant fittings/thermostat housing still seem to be difficult to get. However, I did find a piston/rod comparison chart on solomiata.net that suggests the possibility of using .040 pistons from a 4g63. Same wrist pin diameters and bore, but the 4g63 unit is about .7 mm shy of compression height. I would figure for pistons intended on 8.5:1 compression would yield in a ball park of 8.2-8.3:1 which would be great for serious boosting, not to mention these would be forged units. The FE3 would be an AWESOME power plant, but if I were to buy a jdm unit, i might as well put my money on a BPT. I am finding kia sportage engines all over the place though, now it would be a matter of adapting the transmission to the bf chassis. Although there is an amazing surplus of FSDE engines out there (one in particular may be free as mentioned before in this thread) and there is quite a bit of after market support, and considering that the newer proteges are running this engine, it makes it that much more tempting. Bore stroke of 83X92 vs 86X86 gives a bit more torque on the low end (I personally don't wrap up an engine much above 6000, making VICS a semi-useless endevor for me) and would be better suited for most of the daily driving that I do. All things to consider.

Comment

the g-series 2.2L transmission will be your best bet in a BF, then you can run 323GT or Capri XR2 axles and intermediate shaft in your car, no custom axles needed.

Just a quick question, can you run an FE3 on a BP engine computer? Just another option for you man, maybe not run well, but enough to get it fired and then do a piggyback tune?
                          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
                          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Get a BPT for the money? I think you're still going to pay twice as much for the BPT, no matter what.

check this out:
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-F...Q5fAccessories

Comment

im running a MPS head gasket from cometic on my fe3. wasnt hard at all to order. there's even a few others options.
                              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                              What are you driving?

Comment

well, there is two problems solved, now hows about the thermostat housing? Did you re locate it to the "back" of the head? Which housings did you use? Now, all I have to do is find one of these engines!

Comment

Working...
                                X