No announcement yet.

bg awd trans in a bf gtx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a bg gtx trans and a gtr trans on the floor side by side and there ain't no difference there. The lower frontmount is different, one is a bit shorter for some reason. Oh yah and I meant to say "BF awd trans in the '88 GTX", oops. Aside from the missing difflock motor, I can't come up with any visual differences at all tween the '88 323 box, a '90 Pro box, or a gtr box on the outside, save for maybe a different casting number on the gtr and even that might be my faulty memory...I may very well hafta go out to the shed and have a look when it gets light out!
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Would a tranny off a 1.8 BP 26 from japan fit into a BF (88 GTX),

Comment

i have one in my 88. was pretty simple. and the car kicks ass, drive it every day

Comment

I remember someone starting a tranny swap, and found that the BG tranny bolted up fine. The problem was, to get the driveshaft pointing toward the back of the car at the correct angle, the engine had to be placed on a different angle. In the end they ended up swapping the BPT in as well. I think it was Greg D from the Yahoo group, but don't quote me on that.
          1988 323 GTX
          2009 Mazda 5

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. View Post
            I remember someone starting a tranny swap, and found that the BG tranny bolted up fine. The problem was, to get the driveshaft pointing toward the back of the car at the correct angle, the engine had to be placed on a different angle. In the end they ended up swapping the BPT in as well. I think it was Greg D from the Yahoo group, but don't quote me on that.
            IIRC you need to fab a new motor mount for the engine, the BG trans clocks the engine differently (leans it forward)
            1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
            1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
            www.werbatfik.com

Comment

its easier to get into the project and find out what you need to do than to try to understand how to do it without seeing it...

i just jumped right into the swap cause i had no choice
              i put a bpt and trans in place of the b6t with awd trans

had to make a new motor mount on the passenger side and new trans mount on driver side. i used the pan from the bf body that the motor sits on, and i think i remember using one of the lower mounts from the bg body to make it all work, but the motor sat on the pan first, then i fabbed up the other stuff to make it stable, nothin to it

Comment

Working...
              X