X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of the Miata's were viscous.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
      Any lsd that fits will not be the weak point, the gearbox will be. I'd try to stay away from the viscous lsd's, as they tend to wear out and turn back into open diffs. If you can find a clutch style diff like mazda comp used to offer, that's the hot ticket...

Although I have managed to blow one of those up but unless you're doing rally it should last forever. And heck all I did was de-tooth the ring and pinion, the rest of it survived, I cleaned everything up and it's doing duty in my street car.
      Do you mean like this (Comp limited speed)?

Last updated 2 years ago though.

I've sourced a VLSD from a 1.6L in very good condition at a good price. I think I'm going to use that to upgrade the GTX for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by bujbot View Post
        Do you mean like this (Comp limited speed)?

Last updated 2 years ago though.

I've sourced a VLSD from a 1.6L in very good condition at a good price. I think I'm going to use that to upgrade the GTX for the time being.
        hmmmm, I'm having second thoughts.

Can someone with the Mazdaspeed account check to see if that diff is still available?

I do want to push my diff pretty hard, although I'll just have stock power. I'm worried the VLSD will be no improvement on gravel, and then will die almost instantly.

Comment

I checked my MMS account, and the price is NOT 700-something. it's listed as $1451 normally, and $1036 with the MMS discount. I dunno if they're in stock, I'll see what I can find out.

** edit ** Nope. not available for quite some time. and the repair kits (plates/springs/shims) were discontinued before that even.
          Last edited by SgtRauksauff; 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I believe the RX7 had a plate LSD..which year I can't remember but those discs would fit in those LSD's. Greg on the Yahoo forum rebuilt his some years back. I hope so in case mine goes out.
            Clay

Comment

This was getting too frustrating so I just picked up the VLSD someone had offered me for a good price. It was in great condition and felt really good.

If it goes on me and I need to get a real one, the amount it cost won't set me back much.

... now I just need to find some bushings for the rear.

Comment

If it goes on you, and you have the original diff, goto http://www.opmautosports.com/

I've heard the build costs about $650, and $40 to send it to them. It's a clutch pack. If you get this, you would need to add the ford type LSD additive to your gear oil.

Cheapest LSD solution for Protege's. You just have down time while they build the LSD. You don't have to worry about ring gear changes, splines or half shaft modding. Once you get it back, you drop it in.
                Bryan
                MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

Working...
                X