Turbo going.... Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo going.... Upgrade?

I finally got the gtx running. Ha such a fun car even at 8 lbs. Right now though there seems to be oil leaking out of the hot side of the turbo and burning up when driving it. It is a hybrid turbo with the vj-9 housing and intake and vj-14 exhaust. Also it doesn't get to 8 lbs of boost until almost 5k, that seems super high but I dont know, it seems like its about 5 psi at 3.5k and then just snaps and hits 8psi at about 5k. I am wondering what are the best options if it turns out my turbo is puking oil like it seems.

1. Have turbo rebuilt, how much would that be? who does it?

2. Put another stock turbo I have back on it that wasn't spitting any oil?

3. Would the turbo off my bpt bolt up and how much bigger or better would it be?

Basically I was with my buddy and he said to have it rebuilt and I could do it for about 3 hundred maybe less. I did not want to spend that if thats what it cost to rebuild it when I have a perfectly good stock one and a bpt.... Unless of course my hybrid is that much better. Apparently my car is chipped to run 18lbs of boost. I have an intake and a 3" turbo back exhaust.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will have a video up soon, haha so much smoke though its kinda sketch.
    Last edited by g3mccotter; 04-15-2011, 03:17 AM.

Thinking back I havent checked my timing with a timing light yet since I have had it running. I wonder if its too advanced and putting all the power at the very top possibly.

Comment

Can't tell you what they are pricing their rebuilds now, but they do good work and they shipped my VJ14/11 out to me by week's-end.

You might want to check with the yahoo forum to see if anyone else has had that issue, as that group has been around for ages.

Concerning the low-RPM sluggishness and the higher RPM kick: It sounds a lot like a worn keyway issue. If you check your timing and it's off-scale (20 degrees or so), then you might want to pull off the crank timing cog and check the crank keyway. There's tons of info on this if you search the internet.

Comment

Working...
      X