G-type reverse issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G-type reverse issue.

I'm working on a gtr swap into my 86 323. I'm using a g-type transaxle from a 88 323. The transmission will shift in to reverse when it is not mounted to the engine but now that I have mounted it and dropped it back it will not go in. Every other gear shifts fine. I'm trying to change gears with just the change rod so it is not a shifter issue. I'm just so confused what would keep it from going in just mounting it to the engine. Also it is not the reverse switch issue causing this. I would really appreciate any help as I am at a loss right now.
    BF 323 '86 GTR swap - project
    '95 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 - daily driver (for now...)

Okay. I got a little brave (and stupid) and took a small sludge to the change rod and managed to get it to go into reverse. It goes out of reverse just like all the other gears (1st - 5th) but if you try to go back into reverse it still takes excessive force to get it in. Any ideas guys?

Comment

is there a thick washer on your reverse light switch? i had a thin one on mine and the shift rod was hitting inside on my calbe g-5mr out of a capri xr2
      i know its a piece of crap... but im still faster...

Comment

Not the issue, stated above, but thanks.
        I when ahead and took it out just in case and nothing

Comment

Keep in mind you get a lot of leverage with the shifter. The gears just might be lined up wrong to go smoothly into reverse. If you got it in with the hammer, and it went in fine without the engine mounted, it's probably not an issue.
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

There is a lot of leverage, just not enough to go straight in.
            My father and I took a look at it again the other day and he figured out that wiggling the control arm a good amount was needed to get it in. I hooked up the shifter linkage and sure enough wiggling it right before pushing it in would get it to work,
            so problem solved, I guess.
            Thanks for the help everyone

Comment

not uncommon to have to slightly roll the car or double clutch to get reverse to engage so you should be ok

Comment

Working...
              X