323 lx sedan 4wd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323 lx sedan 4wd

I'm new to mazdas and I'm not to sure about what I can do to make this little car handle better. I was wondering if it is at all possible to swap the drive train from the 323 gt-x into the lx to make it 4wd. I looked on all the bf threads and I couldn't find anything on this topic
    I'm a balla on a budget

Wrong floorpan, wrong trans tunnel, wrong rear subframe, wrong gas tank. So no you can't just swap the drivetrain in. But it can still be made to handle better with the usual suspension upgrades.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Lame I was hoping to make my sedan be 4wd cuz I live in a rural area but I guess just beefing up the suspension will work to.
      I'm a balla on a budget

Comment

It's not that it can't be done, it would just take a parts GTX and a substantial bit of fabrication. If you're truly confident you have strong fabrication skills, I say go for it. Otherwise find a GTX to drive. A front wheel drive car can probably handle better than you expect with the right suspension setup and a limited slip differential.

I have both a GT and a GTX, there is a lot that is different chassis wise.
        Last edited by DuRWooD; 07-01-2011, 01:12 PM.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

there are a few that have done awd swaps into fwd cars, there was a guy on a nother forum that swaped the bf awd stuff onto a bg mercury tracer, a guy on here has a awd mx-3 with iirc bg awd stuff and a nother member has a 91-94 capri with iirc bf awd stuff....

do alot of research, im guess if you found a bf awd parts car it could be done relatively easy, but will be pretty involved,measure,measure,measure,, the guy that did the awd capri would be a great place to start for info...
          Last edited by ryan1; 07-01-2011, 11:11 PM.
          5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

I don't think my fabing skills are good enough for a swap like that. I was thinking most of the parts could just swap over from the GTX. I guess I'll look into suspension parts and save that conversion for another day
            I'm a balla on a budget

Comment

Have you thought about a twin engine setup? I don't know if anyone has done that in a BF or BG.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

lol no I haven't but that would be pretty sick
                I'm a balla on a budget

Comment

5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

bg tracer awd swap, iirc he used a mix of bf and bg parts.
                    After spending three years on the Miata and taking third last year, it's time to head in a different direction. Something new and quite different must be built – something other than a car with a turbo slapped on and a paint job. Enter my '91 Mercury Tracer LTS. That's right, a four door...

a ? for the 4 door owners, low much longer (wheel base) are the 4 door 323's than the hatchback ones?
                    Last edited by ryan1; 07-05-2011, 12:04 PM.
                    5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Originally posted by ryan1 View Post
                      a ? for the 4 door owners, low much longer (wheel base) are the 4 door 323's than the hatchback ones?
                      BF or BG?

The BG four door wheelbase is 98.4 inches.
                      1990 Protege 4WD
                      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

I went and measured both my BFs for you, the sedan and the hatchback measured the same, although I was by myself using a tape measure.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

thats pretty sick what they've done. It looks like a pain in the ass to do but do-able. Seeing as the GTX and my 87 323 LX are both BF it doesn't seem as hard to do as the Capri or the Tracer
                          I'm a balla on a budget

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
                            I went and measured both my BFs for you, the sedan and the hatchback measured the same, although I was by myself using a tape measure.
                            thanks, if i could find a decent 4door bf i will do it, but in wi the salt kills,..
                            Last edited by ryan1; 07-05-2011, 10:11 PM.
                            5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Originally posted by Tpan View Post
                              thats pretty sick what they've done. It looks like a pain in the ass to do but do-able. Seeing as the GTX and my 87 323 LX are both BF it doesn't seem as hard to do as the Capri or the Tracer
                              the 91-94 capri is a bf iirc
                              5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Working...
                              X