Quick engine change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick engine change

So I have very limited time budgeted to change my engine out this Tuesday. I'm hoping to get it done in 4 or 5 hours max.

Having never pulled the engine in a BF, my question is, is there enough clearance to leave the transmission in place and just pull the engine out? I don't want to wreck my diff/axle seals, or do I want to spill any of my expensive gear oil.

Am I just going to be wasting time trying it this way, or will it work? The new engine I have is good to go, just going to transfer my alternator, clutch and flywheel onto it when it's out.

Just FYI, this will be in my GT.
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

You won't hurt the axle seals if you're careful and you can always drain into a clean pan ut yeah there should be room to do it with the gbox in place. Whether that makes the job go any faster, I dunno.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I've just always changed the axle seals, I guess it's only an extra 10 minutes to do that. I'm more concerned with fiddling with the axles to get them out. It does look like there is room to leave the gear box in, I just don't know if it will prove to be a PITA.

5 hours is probably plenty of time either way if everything goes smoothly.
      Last edited by DuRWooD; 07-10-2011, 03:26 PM.
      sigpic
      1992 Familia GT-X
      1988 323 GTX
      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Well, didn't go quite as planned. A buddy came over, we worked on his Probe and got drunk. Started work on the 323 around 9 PM, gave up around 11.

Having a really hard time getting the engine to pull apart from the transmission, it's about 1 cm apart all the way around, and I can't seem to get it to go any further. I'm sure I was just a little drunk and frustrated though.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

you sure all the bolts were out? lol Personally I'd just pull them both at the same time though
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Yeah, they're all out. There is a 1 cm gap the whole way around. I didn't try too long as my buddy had to go. That and I was a bit drunk, and didn't want to damage anything being stupid.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

try pushing the clutch pedal.

also sometimes there are a few 10mm bolts connecting the backing plate to the bell housing of the trans that are easy to miss.
              2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
                try pushing the clutch pedal.

also sometimes there are a few 10mm bolts connecting the backing plate to the bell housing of the trans that are easy to miss.
                Sweet, thanks. I don't think I got the backing plate bolts. That is probably it. It's too far separated for the clutch pedal to help at all.
                sigpic
                1992 Familia GT-X
                1988 323 GTX
                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Sounds to me like the input shaft for the trans was still inside the clutch, so you couldn't lift the motor up.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

way easier removing them in one piece i say,gts a breeze, gtx a more of a pain in the arse.should'nt hurt the seals,but losing good oil is always a drag,i always end up using new stuff cause none of my pans are clean enuff.

Comment

Well, the new engine is in. Never again will I change an engine without pulling the transmission. I ended up losing all my new gear oil anyway, not even into a pan

It was stuck, as I mentioned before, I forgot to unbolt the f'ing jack shaft from the back of the block, and pulled it out of the transmission slightly, walked into the garage today to find a big puddle of gear oil on the concrete.

For anyone considering changing their engine this way, I suggest you don't. To get it to clear, I had to remove the alternator and associated bracketry, power steering pump and bracketry, radiator, and the outer crankshaft pulley.

I also spent over an hour trying to get the transmission input shaft to properly seat in the clutch, what a PITA, that would have taken less than a minute out of the car.

Oh well, live and learn. Didn't hook anything else up, as I'm sore and have a headache, I'd say I have about 2 hours work left to do tomorrow.

sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Also, I estimated 5 hours for the job total. I'm at about 5 now, with 2 hours left. Probably would have made the 5 hour goal taking the transmission out.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

That is why I go out the bottom and lift it in from the bottom..all one piece...no headaches. Only takes a couple hours.

Comment

Sounds like good times... Live and learn... Its not hard to pull motor and transmission out of the 323s from the top, but I have found it really really easy if you drop them out the bottom... Motor, trans all still bolted together to the sub frame...

Comment

yea. leaving the trans in makes it ALOT more work. and more work when re-installing it. pull it all as one unit, and save yourself a ton of time.
                              ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                              ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                              What are you driving?

Comment

Working...
                              X