88 GTX - BPT Swap using BF Tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 GTX - BPT Swap using BF Tranny question

I am in the process of swapping a BPT motor into my BF GTX ice racer. I am using the BF transmission. As we were preparing the new motor to go in we discovered that since the block is a little different the axle shaft (jack shaft) that bolts to the back side of the motor no longer fits correctly. When it is pushed all the way into the tranny to properly seal the shaft, the bracket that bolts to the block no longer lines up. I am just wondering what the solution is with this problem?

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files

I think the guys use the shafts from the FE motors.
    My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

I tried looking that up for you last night,either rre or corksport had a write up on the bpt only swap.can't seem to find it anywhere.try the guys on the yahoo siter

Comment

Originally posted by 323GTX-RSA View Post
        I think the guys use the shafts from the FE motors.
        Not that I've ever seen - idk if that would work? never heard of it.

I've seen a couple no-weld mounts done that worked very well. But otherwise you need to mod the bracket - On my setup I cut out a section and welded in a steel plate & drilled it out appropriately. The short side you can just drill a new hole

Here's a pic of my modded bracket:

Kevin with the AWD tracer did this one:

Last edited by Rocketman; 12-22-2011, 03:23 PM.
        1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
        1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
        www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Go to the yahoogroups gtx list and look up what Greg Downing has to say. He did a step by step writeup on this swap and is meticulous as a watchmaker.
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

yah no jay,I think G.D. did the terriffic write on his first swap which was putting in the tranny on with his b6t.He then went full bore with the bpt.
            If I'm not mistaken.
            Looks like Rocketman's is the way to go.

Comment

Ah crap... yeah i think yer right. no wonder I didnt remember him saying he had this issue.
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I looked into the swap and looks like if you REALLY wanna get crazy you could easily mill 1/4" off the OE jack shaft bolt flange. Make a 1/4" flat plate that matched what the engine needs, bolt it up... tack the jack shaft in place. Take it down and weld it up...., nothing outside what any hot rodder is capaable of or dropping off for final welds....

rob

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ended up dropping the jack shaft off at a machine shop. I showed him these pics. I will post of a pic of what they come up with.

Comment

So I got the jack shaft back from the machine shop today. They did an awesome job. We needed to move the holes over 14 mm. They lengthened the bracket by machining it and then adding a piece with industrial rivots then machined the heads so they are smooth. The piece is also designed so that it clamps down on the original bracket for extra strength. Pretty smart!! I am stoked, I think I now have all the pieces to finish this swap. Ice race season starts Jan 21. See pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120107-00319.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1230368Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120107-00318-1.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1230367Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120107-00316.jpg
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1230366