Time for an unexpected rebuild. Need piston ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for an unexpected rebuild. Need piston ideas

So driving my car last night and noticed that it wasn't as peppy as usual. Of course I was beating on her and I was not very light on the throttle when I drove her. I checked it this morning and I have some blow by coming out of the dipstick. Im pretty sure that I cracked a piston or hurt a ring, not sure since the motor is still in tact but im assuming that it is a piston issue. I want to go either Weisco or a non turbo capri piston. Any thoughts or ideas will be gratly appreciated!!

If you're cheap(or on a budget)swap out the bad piston(s).the head gasket will be the most expensive part,don't go cheap there.

Comment

I have another set of turbo pistons but this is the second time it happened. I know the turbo pistons are not as strong as the non turbo pistons because of the ring lands. They have weak ring lands and thats what goes first.

Comment

Oh you're right about the ringlands sucking,but the turbo pistons will help with the drop in compression.I doubt a natural aspirated mazda piston is going to have a fatter ring land.You're detonating your motor,thats the real problemo.maybe ease up on the boost a bit(easily said).

Comment

Figure out the problem before sticking new pistons in it, cuz they'll follow the ones that broke almost regardless. Weiscos are tough but too lean is tougher...
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

From what my wideband says, the car never runs lean. Although, it was exceptionally coole out on Sat night here in florida and that's why I wanted to take her out. I dont think that I spiked boost and the car was not hesitating throughout the day that I was driving it.

Comment

Working...
            X