Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy with Connecting Rod Bearing Questions

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum here, and I was wondering if someone could help me out. First of all I will say that I'm actually looking for connecting rod berings to fit my '83 Yamaha XZ550 motorcycle. Unfortunately those bearings are no longer available, but I have been told that the connecting rod bearings from a 1988 Mazda 323 would fit (engine was not specified). A few months ago I bought some Clevite bearings from summit racing that were supposed to fit... they did not. Thinking I had gotten the wrong part, I tried again from another distributor, strike two.

At this point I was a little aggravated, It seemed as though I had just wasted more time, and money while still making no further progress on my project. The next thing I did was try to see if I could find the Mazda's con-rod and crank dimensions so I could compare them to my motorcycle's parts. Using the measurements in this manual, it seemed as though the Mazda bearings (from both the SOHC, and the DOHC Turbo) would fit with little to no machining. As I already mentioned, all the bearings I have gotten do not fit/match the dimensions listed on pages 1026, 1029, and 1030 of that manual.

The bearings have several flaws. First is the lack of a lubrication hole in the bearing. This is illustrated in the manual, although I wouldn't mind drilling one if I could sort the other issues. Second is the fact that these bearings are around 16mm wide, while the manual says they should be 22mm (which would fit my rods perfectly). Lastly, the bearings ID is slightly larger than it should be to fit the crank properly, as is the bearings OD to fit the con-rod's bore. Both the crank OD and con-rod big end ID fit within the range of measurements listed in the manual. That said, the bearing's thickness is just right. This means that when the bearings are installed, the bearing halves are forced in a way that makes them pinch the crank where both halves meet. This makes the connecting rod unable to spin freely, but because the bearing's thickness is correct, a plasti-guage will still give me the proper oil clearance number.

Basically, to get the bearings I have to work I would need to build up the crank pin's OD (or get under sized bearings, and bore them out/file down the crank), bore out the connecting rods, drill oil holes, and then I would still end up with bearings that are only 16mm wide when they should be 22mm. I think at that point I would be better off searching for different bearings. With all of that in mind, I have a few questions. Does anyone mind comparing measurements of parts they have with those in the manual I linked? Is the manual I'm using incorrect, or are the parts I'm getting incorrect? If the latter, where can I get the correct parts? Any help is appreciated. I really hope someone can help me sort this out, a set of custom bearings/an expensive bill from the machine shop is not an option I'm looking forward to.

Thanks, Rory

i would think a newer 323 block might have the larger bearings. as they did make some revisions to the crank.

perhaps start with 1990+
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

That'll be one of the odder parts-crossref Q's I've around here...
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I'll look into the newer bearings, thanks for the tip. Yes it is a very odd parts cross-reference, not even the same type of vehicle. Even if I do find that newer bearings will work, whats up with the dimensions in the manual? Are the measurements just flat out wrong, and at the same time coincidentally exactly what I'm looking for? Seems unlikely... Maybe by some fluke the 1990+ dimensions were published in the '88 manual?

Comment

who made the manual???
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I believe it was published by Mazda, although it isn't very important to me any longer. I found a catalog on the clevite/mahle website (while looking for the 1990+ 323 bearings, thanks for giving me that suggestion!) listing almost all of the products they make. It is organized by manufacturer, and then car model. It also showed the dimensions of the rod bearings for each car. Once I had found that, I basically just searched through each page until I found bearings with the closest dimensions. It appears as though 2002-'04 Nissan Altima connecting rod bearings will fit.... quite random, but if they fit I will be happy. I plan to order a set, and take some final measurements to make sure they are within spec', if not they should be close enough that the machine shop could easily get them where they need to be. Thanks for the replies! I'll throw another post up here when I get things sorted. Good luck to all of you fellow gear-heads with your projects!

Comment

best of luck!!! if we an help further don't hesitate to post.

Comment

Working...
              X