Misfire and lean on start ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfire and lean on start ups

I have tried everything to fix this and nothing has helped. Warm or cold startup especially when warm when I've been runing it hard it will act like its runing on 2 cylinders and bury my wideband into lean, as soon as it builds a little boost 1-3 psi it will immediately stop. It runs absolutely fine during normal driving and under wot. It only does this on about 75% of warm start ups and 90% of cold starts. I can hold rpms at any specific point and it will hold there but still miss. The confusing part is that its runing lean when it does this. Vaccume also stays at 10-15 when it does this, normally its a steady 19

I have replaced- plugs .028, wires, coil, cap, and rotor button. Injectors flow fine and no leaks around the seals. No exhaust leaks

My setup is reich racing ecu, vj11 with bad seals, 2.5" exhaust, vta bov ( runing the stock bpv recirculated doesn't change it) no ac or power steering.

Look at coolant temp sensors and maybe a sticky FPR. It couls also possibly be those bad seals. Enough oilfumes could displace air and fuel to lean things out at startup. Same thing with a stuck open pcv valve as well.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I have a spare Fpr, although I'm not sure if its any good or if its even for the car, it just came with it. Pcv valve is new.

If it is from the turbo seals I may have to deal with it for another month or 2 while my manifold is being made for my new turbo

Comment

Swaped fpr today and still same thing.

What should my afrs be in boost? I'm wondering if it may be the fuel pump. I have the reich racing hp spec. Untill 4000 rpms my afr is 13.0-13.3 4000-5000 it slowly drops to 12.0 5500-6000 its 11.5-12 above 6000 its 11.0-11.5. Part throttle is 10.5-11.5 until about 3/4 throttle then it leans up. Going from 16 to 12 psi made no difference

Comment

Have you tried a different (stock ECU) and a different AFM?

How do you know your injectors are flowing fine?

Can you shoot a video and post it?

Comment

Have not tried a stock ecu or different afm

Injectors were rebuilt and flow tested last year.

Ill get a video the next time I drive it

Comment

Hasn't done it recently untill today

Crappy quality from iPhone and my wideband doesn't blink, just the way the camera on my phone took it
              Last edited by tweety2300; 03-03-2013, 02:08 PM.

Comment

No ideas? Getting a miss under boost here and there now, also noticed the wire going from coil to afm looked burnt... So I guess I'm Gona replace the coil

Comment

You sure you're idleing/running lean with the misfires?Not piggy rich from the misfire and sending the o2 lean?You should pull your plugs and take a look at what they look like.I like to check plugs meeself.

Comment

I already have. They were tan like they were supposed to be. It runs fine normally so I doubt it would turn them white

Comment

I have the same symptoms as OP however I do not have misfires. Car will idle at about 16 to 17 AFR until I drive the car and put it in boost and then it sits nicely at 14.7 ish. I will be watching this thread closely.

Comment

On cold start up until the O2 sensor is hot it will not be reading correctly... I would not trust that the car is running lean based on O2 readings... You'd need a 5 gas taking pre cat readings to be certain its running lean causing your miss...

Comment

Mine runs 11.0-12.3 in boost.

I thought the wide band was supposed to be accurate at all times whether hot or cold? And what precat? We only have one o2 sensor that the ecu sees and my setup has a high flow cat and resonator

Comment

I realize the truth of your words crazycanadian however the car does run a bit poorly (not like misfiring). This is not 100% of the time as the OP has stated. For example if you leave the car out and warm up from a start I will still get 17 AFR although the car is warm and at idle. Once you drive the car into boost then the issue resolves itself and the car runs normally.

Regardless, this is why innovate uses an internal heater to the 02 itself. After the first couple seconds of start up o2 readings are reliable similar to what tweety mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                            X