No announcement yet.

Long Nose/Big Nose crank Info needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if i look for a Mercury Capri Crankshaft in this year this should be a bignose. INFO OFF OF ROCK AUTO.....

1993 MERCURY CAPRI 1.6L L4 Turbocharged : Engine : Crankshaft
    STANDARD CRANKSHAFT Part # 8727B Reman; Includes bearings
    Forging #: B6s7, B616, B61k, B6;Neck Length Is Approximately 1 1/4" Long With A Diameter Of 1.063".

Theres the B616 reference again. WTF....

Brad

Comment

THE MAZDASPEED GODS OF THE OLD & NEW HAVE COME FORWARD AND LAID THEIR HANDS UPON ME!!!!!

I just bought a crankshaft off of ebay for a 92 capri xr2 for $89.95.....

Looks good! Appears to be a BIGNOSE from Pic... Only 59k on motor it came from. Car was put to early grave from blown head gasket....
      (Lets Hope it doesn't need a regrind, but i will gladly take it to a machine shop!)

I guess, i'll just wait for it to get here and figure out what exactly what type of b6t crank it is.... Then Rape and Conquer from there....

At least I can sleep now without busted crank noses' dancing in my head counting the misleads and misprints i have found everywhere...

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from my local MAZDA DEALERSHIP.... Last time i was trying to get a new set of Valve Cover Grommets from them I got a What the hell kind of 323 is that?? I know they can pretty much look up anything with my last 8 vin #'s.... But these inbred rednecks in Fargo, ND are dumb.... I proceeded to do drifting donuts around the service area in a blizzard mid February for about 2 min... Service Guy came running out and said, "Dude its like its MAZDASPEED 0.1.....That's BADASS!!!" With his mouth wide open.. LOL

What a glorious day!
      Brad
      Last edited by bman07; 06-09-2013, 03:39 AM.

Comment

A little off topic here, but are the oil pump different between the long vs. short nose motor??? I trying to get my car up and running but I getting no oil pressure and my engine builder says the New oil pump I have in their now might be for long nose and it's slight different from the originally .

Any help with this guys???

Comment

Not sure on that one. If the pump fits over the flats ground on the crank it should work fine? That should be pretty obvious when installing the pump though.

I'm only aware of two pumps for the B6T one for the short nose and one for the 'big' nose
          1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
          1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
          www.werbatfik.com

Comment

The long nose was the factory supplied replacement part to the dealers to replace the faulty short nose unit. Both were of the 22 mm variety so that the original oil pump need not be changed. In mid year 1991 (after August) the big nose 27mm crank was put into service on the Miata and the Merc Capri....which also changed the oil pump. These will obviously not work on the 22mm cranks which might be your issue.
            Clay

Comment

Thanks I just cleared that up..... And it's just like you said

22mm for short nose
              27mm for big nose

10-4 buddy......

Comment

Can someone clarify what kind of crank this is? I Pulled this motor out of a 88 gtx but the guy I bought it from put it in himself. Can someone tell if its an original gtx motor and some information on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130716-00366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	1237034

Comment

small snout crank,the four bolts attaching the pulley are spaced in a rectangle,big snout is a square pattern,iirc.

Comment

I read somewhere that 4 slots in the pully and 8 slots mean something too. Know any about this?

Comment

Yeah that's definitely a small nose crank pulley........

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. D Cox View Post
                        I read somewhere that 4 slots in the pully and 8 slots mean something too. Know any about this?
                        It may have been accurate on the Miata (where I'd seen that too) But I've seen 4 and 8 slots on both styles of pulleys
                        1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                        1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                        www.werbatfik.com

Comment

My 1992, 1993, and 1994's have all been B6S7 engines. This is written on the block itself, as well as the intake pipe that sits above the exhaust. There are others, but I don't remember where else it is written. The B6S7 is a big nose engine. Crank pulley has 8 slots, as other people have mentioned.Click image for larger version

Name:	59705041_345971292725853_6635733264118054912_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1245764
                          Last edited by CanadianDuck; 05-30-2019, 06:08 PM. Reason: More Info

Comment

Working...
                          X