B6T Piston ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B6T Piston ideas

I am about to rebuild the 323 but I don't want to go back to stock pistons. I have a set of turbo 323 pistons sitting on the shelf but after the first build, I can no longer trust these stock mazda pistons. Anyone have any ideas for me? I want to stay stock bore and I was thinking about non turbo Capri pistons or even Miata 1.6l pistons.

The nonturbo Capri and Miata pistons are the same. There's two different versions a 9.0:1 and a 9.4:1 depending on what transmission (auto had the lower compression)

What happened to your first build?
    1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
    1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
    www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Well rocketman, I believe that it might've detonated. The car lost compression in a cyl and at the time I didn't have a whole lot of money to fix it. So she sat for almost 2 years until this passed weekend where I brought her from my mom's house to my apartment. I did a compression check yesterday and I had 135psi on cyls 1-3 and 4 gave me almost 60psi. I took the head off yesterday to get this started so hopefully this weekend I will have the oil drained and the pistons out to see if I cracked a piston. The first time I blew up the motor, the wastegate hose came off and I was on 23 psi until it went. I cracked the ringlands on 2 pistons so I bought all new pistons from Mazda which are in the motor now. I am tired of the weak ringlands of these pistons but I don't want to get into having to bore out the block for a set of wiseco pistons. I know that the Capri and Miata are the same but I can't seem to find any new. All I find are used sets and they are going for $200+ on ebay.

Comment

They do make wiseco in standard bore, you may have to call and custom order them though.

There's plenty of used B6Ds & B6T's down in FL, maybe that's a more efficient or quicker option for you? The florida Festiva crew literally have piles of them.

I think I have a set of used 9.4:1 pistons if you are interested. But check to see if it's another cracked ring land? Could your timing have been off or something else causing this twice now?
        1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
        1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
        www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Timing wasn't off. I was low on money and put 87 octane in the car. I forgot about me putting regular in it since I would usually run 93 or higher octane. I got on it driving down the highway and it started smoking and it was only pushing 5psi of boost instead of the usual 14psi. I know the car and motor very well as far as rebuilding it and what parts would fit it. I was thinking that someone found a better alternative than going with wiesco pistons. I called wiesco and they said they will take their 78.5mm off the shelf pistons and put them in a 78mm size for $20 more. I'm not looking to put that much into this build right now. I just want to get the car back on the road so it's not sitting and breaking my heart as it's been for the last 2 years. PM me a price for the 9.4:1 pistons. I'm going to go to the local JY and see if there are any miatas
          Last edited by noshatch; 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I can't seem to find any info about the florida festiva crew. Do you have any info on them?

Comment

Originally posted by noshatch View Post
              I am about to rebuild the 323 but I don't want to go back to stock pistons. I have a set of turbo 323 pistons sitting on the shelf but after the first build, I can no longer trust these stock mazda pistons. Anyone have any ideas for me? I want to stay stock bore and I was thinking about non turbo Capri pistons or even Miata 1.6l pistons.
              noshatch maybe go easy on the boost,if you have a set of(new or used)pistons from a turbo motor use em. If you dedonate a miata/capri piston you will likely bust the ring land on it,but faster. I personally found replacing the head gasket the most costly part when i was over boosting my 1.6 cause of busted ring lands. got really,really good at swapping pistons. you can sorta trust stock cast pistons,eff the forged,

Comment

Working...
              X