Miata/MX5 B6 CAS orientation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miata/MX5 B6 CAS orientation?

So I'm fitting a B6t engine to my KE Ford Laser (same as the BF 323) along with a Megasquirt ecu to control it, running a wasted spark setup, and Miata/MX5 cam angle sensor bolted in place of the stock distributor.

Now, the B6t head has two mounting bolts for the dissy, meaning, the CAS can be bolted in two different ways.

Can I fit the CAS either way, or will this make it impossible to get the timing even close to being correct?

Thanks!

do you have a picture? i don't recall the b6t head having 2 points for the CAS mounting.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      do you have a picture? i don't recall the b6t head having 2 points for the CAS mounting.
      I googled to find a picture of the B6t distributor, as I don't have any of my own... and found your thread :p

Basically, the CAS can mount using either of the two original bolt locations.

Comment

both bolt holes are recommended If at all possible.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

miata cas only has one mounting hole

Comment

I would assume orientation matters. The miata CAS is only able to go in one way, which makes me believe orientation matters. Other wise why go through all the work to make it only fit one way.

Comment

Look for a pic of it on the Miata, I'm not sure which hole they use. Either way, there's an degree offset somewhere in MS's setup, you can set it up for using either bolt hole you just have to know how far off it is.
              1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
              1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
              www.werbatfik.com

Comment

The miata runs it with the connector facing up. And I don't like the look. By rotating it, the connector faces straight down and looks much neater.

Of course if it can't run like this I'll have to flip it, and move my ignition coil mount as its in the way.

Almost all the wires are run and connected except the cas and a few connections to the vehicle wiring.

I had to replace the whole engine loom, for anyone curious :p

Comment

I think I'm going to just run it as the Miata have it.
                  Too risky to cut my wires shorter then find out its too difficult, or can't work mounted the other way.

But I really want it mounted the neat way!

Neat! If I flip it, the connector becomes buried in the spark plug leads, and I have to move/modify the ignition coil bracket.

Comment

Working...
                  X