Converting to Miata Short-Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting to Miata Short-Block

Hey there everyone. Despite all of my attempts to keep my Festiva B6T alive, it seems futile to continue plugging away at this motor without a rebuild/replacement. The oil consumption and intermittent blue smoke is just too arduous to overcome, and I'm convinced it's a rings issue given everything else has been tended to in the past six months from fresh oil and PCV to new valve stem seals, the head-gasket, and turbo.

So it's looking like I'll probably build up a second engine or at least prepare a second short-block for the engine swap procedure. I happen to have a Miata short-block sitting at a friend's garage. What I don't know is whether there are any compatibility issues between the FWD and RWD motors... specifically the flow of coolant and the like.

Does anybody have any experience with swapping in a Miata short-block into a FWD chassis with a B6T top-end? I'll obviously use the B6T oil pan so I can drain the oil from the turbo. Anything else worth thinking about? I'm aware of the fact that the B6T rods are superior as well.

This was common swap in reverse for miata guys.

IIRC:
    Either use your FWD head, or you'll have to swap the coolant ports, as the miata coolant port stock comes out the front of the head.
    Oil pan will need to be swap
    I believe you'll want to swap all sensor(some maybe the same, but not sure which ones)
    The pullies are not the same between the miata b6 and the b6t. So you'll need to make sure all pullies are from the same system. ( miata uses a wider v-belt for alt and water pump)

Those are all the points I can think of. If you google search putting a protege motor in miata, you should get some good information about the differences of the fwd/rwd b6 and bp.

Comment

I am running Miata/MX5 head on my GTX, I just needed to fit a welsh plug into the MX5 coolant hole and use my B6T coolant bits, works like a dream, so shouldn't be and issue to use the motor.
      My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

Isn't the year of the car and year of the block an issue?

Comment

Same block regardless and same head with a swap of the rwd stuff to fwd or awd....Aaron sold his car btw.

Comment

Good to know

Comment

Working...
            X