G Series Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G Series Question

Hypothetically...if I was to upgrade from my stock trans to a G-Series trans, say, out of a BF GT, aren't the input shafts slightly different. Doesn't the G series have a 15/16" size shaft with 22 splines as opposed to the 7/8" size with 20 splines on a the F series.

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I'm probably too blind and just overlooked that thread

F series axles are different then G series.... G series diff is 26 spline.... Or 28 in the newer ones I'm not sure what the F series is though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

You will also have to deal with swapping out the hydraulic clutch to the cable clutch. Also why would you want to swap the f for the g as long as it is working? If you were moving to the b6t I would say yes to the tranny swap. The f is fine for the B6 motor. Just from my experience of course.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
        You will also have to deal with swapping out the hydraulic clutch to the cable clutch. Also why would you want to swap the f for the g as long as it is working? If you were moving to the b6t I would say yes to the tranny swap. The f is fine for the B6 motor. Just from my experience of course.
        The plan was to swap in a B6T which is why I was looking into a G series, right now I'm just trying to save the cash for this project. I was under the assumption that some of the G series were cable clutch types though

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          F series axles are different then G series.... G series diff is 26 spline.... Or 28 in the newer ones I'm not sure what the F series is though
          I was going to use a G series out of a BF GT though, so I was assuming that because they were FWD that the axles would be the same with just another FWD BF, but I guess not. I guess that would mean I would need to get different hubs as well.
          Originally though, when I was talking about spline count and diameter, I was referring to the input shaft, and I was just tossing the question out there to look and see about compatibility options because I think my clutch options are different.

Comment

All bf hubs are the same. When you find the donor car grab the entire drive train and the front spindles so you will have the bigger brakes. You can also be looking for a 91-94 Mercury Capri XR2...same stuff.

Comment

All bf hubs are the same. When you find the donor car grab the entire drive train and the front spindles so you will have the bigger brakes. You can also be looking for a 91-94 Mercury Capri XR2...same stuff.
              Yeah, now I'm on the hunt for an inexpensive GT, or a Capri. I'll have fun looking for one in my area

Comment

There has to be some rusted out hulks up there for cheap.

Comment

There has to be some rusted out hulks up there for cheap.
                  I search kijiji almost every other day and I periodically check car parts.com which have a most of the auto wreckers in Canada and nothing has come up yet. But I'm hopeful it will. I always hear of people who own these cars and just let them sit in a garage somewhere in next to mint condition, but for some reason they have an issue with the car and instead of fixing it or putting it up for sale, they just scrap it, not realizing people still want these cars-or even the parts

Comment

My GT was cheap but in too good of shape to use for parts

As weird as it sounds, the strut tower rust apart yet the rest of the body is mint, so I bought it dirt cheap, welded the strut tower together and been driving it ever since

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                      My GT was cheap but in too good of shape to use for parts

As weird as it sounds, the strut tower rust apart yet the rest of the body is mint, so I bought it dirt cheap, welded the strut tower together and been driving it ever since
                      I'm in the exact same situation. I guess it kind of helped that the previous owner undercoated the thing like 15 times

Comment

Working...
                      X