Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1989 323 1.6 sohc won't start (injected)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 323 1.6 sohc won't start (injected)

I have a daily driven '89 DX hatch. A few weeks ago, it suddenly died while driving, with no previous symptom. I had it towed home, suspecting fuel pump since I couldn't hear it.

Did the following:
    1.Tested volts at pump, nothing under any key position.
    2. Applied 12V to gr/r wire at pump - pump then ran fine. (but car still would not run even with pump hot-wired)
    3. Replaced fuel pump relay. Still no start. I get 12V to the pump when key is in "start" but no voltage in "run"
    4. I don't notice any smell of gas at the tailpipe

I've read elsewhere that there is a flapper valve in the intake that triggers the relay. Is that a likely fail point? Or would the fuel pressure regulator be more likely? Is there a way to test the fuel pressure on the 323?

Also, most cars (I think) have a fuel pump that runs when key is "on" for a few seconds to prime the system. I don't see anything in the circuit that would do that.

I really need this car to be running

Click image for larger version

Name:	AFM insides.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1245918

inside the air flow meter [VAF] it looks like this gently cut around the edge and peel up the black cover. follow the instructions and clip the metal piece noted there. that will engage the fuel pump with the key in "on" without having to crank it prior as a means to prime the pump. (yes its a poor design - but hey its 80's)

have you checked your timing belt is still in good order? on the SOHC its quite easy to change. (minimal tools required)

hope this helps
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a try. I have another question that might be the real heart of the matter, but since not fuel related I will put it in a new post.

Comment

Working...
      X