Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster

Good Morning,

I have a 1987 Mazda 323 station wagon that I bought new. I have used it as a daily driver since new. The station wagon instrument cluster did not have a tachometer and I have wanted one for many years. About three years ago, I found an instrument cluster from a 1988 Mercury Tracer that had a tachometer. I installed the Tracer cluster (it was a simple bolt on since they are the same cars) and everything was fine until about six months ago. Both the gas gauge and temperature gauge started giving false readings when they worked. Does anyone know: 1) if my car uses a voltage regulator somewhere in the gauge circuit and 2) what is the purpose of the oscillator in the gauge circuit?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Ed

Originally posted by edcarol214 View Post
    Good Morning,

I have a 1987 Mazda 323 station wagon that I bought new. I have used it as a daily driver since new. The station wagon instrument cluster did not have a tachometer and I have wanted one for many years. About three years ago, I found an instrument cluster from a 1988 Mercury Tracer that had a tachometer. I installed the Tracer cluster (it was a simple bolt on since they are the same cars) and everything was fine until about six months ago. Both the gas gauge and temperature gauge started giving false readings when they worked. Does anyone know: 1) if my car uses a voltage regulator somewhere in the gauge circuit and 2) what is the purpose of the oscillator in the gauge circuit?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Ed
    can you test your old cluster to see if its just that cluster or if its something else in the car?
    2018 STI | Stock DD
    1987 RX-7 Sport | Full BP
    1988 323 GTX | constant work in progress

Comment

Hi Skurge. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I sent the original cluster to the electronic recycling center here and it is gone. I may make an extension to your thinking. I may buy a different cluster on E-Bay and use it for a control. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Ed

Comment

i've seen automatic tracer ones on ebay pretty cheap, otherwise the 323 gtx yahoo group usually has a few

i'd have an extra myself but my digital cluster is broken
        2018 STI | Stock DD
        1987 RX-7 Sport | Full BP
        1988 323 GTX | constant work in progress

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will give the 323 gtx yahoo group a look. Take care.

Sincerely,

Ed

Comment

Working...
          X