• Show
Clear All

Can I haz popcorn??
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Did a little more research, sticking with COBB, they can offer 16.3% and 16.9% increases in HP and torque bringing it up to ~305HP and ~327ft-lbs (with exhaust done). Add on intake and a FMIC and maybe you'll hit the figures you're talking about, but not at the wheels.

2007 Speed3 vs 2007 WRX vs 2001 WRX (base stats from edmunds.com), all with a tune (cobbtuning.com) & exhaust
      305hp ... 277hp ... 310hp
      327lbs/ft ... 328lbs/ft ... 294lbs/ft
      3153lbs ... 3192lbs ... 3175lbs
      FWD (limited boost in 1st & second gear to prevent wheel spin) .. AWD .. AWD

Pretty even matchup still between the 2007s, and could potentialy walk the 2010 WRX... not what I expected! New opinion formed based on theoretical data I wonder when the tune came out, rather recently? I don't remember it being an option a year ago.

Edit: I Couldn't find the release date, but on Dec 2, 2009, they were still working on the product for release. I also found out while discovering that info, that their intake system gives a 31whp and 34lbs/ft of torque over stock, pretty damn impressive. http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/2009/12/...add-big-power/
      Last edited by Crazy Drummer69; 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Drummer69 View Post
        Did a little more research, sticking with COBB, they can offer 16.3% and 16.9% increases in HP and torque bringing it up to ~305HP and ~327ft-lbs (with exhaust done). Add on intake and a FMIC and maybe you'll hit the figures you're talking about, but not at the wheels.

07 Speed3 vs 07 WRX (base stats from edmunds.com), both with a tune (cobbtuning.com) & exhaust
        305hp ... 277hp
        327ft-lbs ... 328ft-lbs
        3153lbs ... 3192lbs
        FWD (limited boost in 1st & second gear to prevent wheel spin) .. AWD

Pretty even matchup still... not what I expected, new opinion formed based on theoretical data I wonder when the tune came out, rather recently?

Well, COBB also offers the AccessTuner Race which allows the user to change everything from throttle mapping to boost to variable valve timing to AFR etc.

The off the shelf maps you are reading about are mild at best.

The limitation in hp you see with the MS3 is in large part due to the stock calibration closing the throttle at 5500RPM. As you know HP rises above torque at 5252RPM and this results in little time to build HP.

The stock turbo can be spiked above 20psi but it likes to be around that point. Most people that throw bolt-ons on the car have mixed results because they are fighting the restrictive ECU tune and along with that a weak cam driven fuel pump and boost cuts.

Once you bolt the engine and get a decent tune at around 20psi, these are the whp numbers you can expect from the MS3 with the stock turbo. Note that this was a tweaked off the shelf map. He had another 20 or so whp after a pro-tune. As you can see, the car made well into the 300whp and over 350 ft lbs of torque. Moral of the story, don't base your opinion just on advertised numbers. You'd have to do quite a bit to a WRX to walk an MS3 on the hwy.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Lex; 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Good figures & info... the tuning world took a little while to make worthy go-fast parts for the speed3 but now that they're here, they seem to kick ass. Good thing my GTR is off the road, they'd start keeping up with me again!

Comment

Lex ... teach the young Jedi .. the ways ... :0)

Comment

Mazda did a good job on the tranny this time as well. The 3 shaft MS3/MS6 tranny is a bear and people aren't breaking this thing with over 400 ft lbs to the wheels. Stock clutch holds well as well. They finally learned I guess.

The motors are more fragile however and need to be well tuned because they don't like low RPM boost and torque spikes which the stock turbo is known for. People who just throw flow mods at the car without a tune end up with 22+psi boost spikes down low and that spells trouble.

Alas people always want more power (and when they have it they realize FWD and 400 ft lbs is not so great) so the "progression" car is generally an Evo.

Comment

"Progression" car = '90 Protege 4WD!! (with ST-205 drivetrain, lol!)!!

Seriously, though, the EVO 8/9 are the ONLY cars I've ever driven that have made me seriously consider a purchase.
                Possibly a Subaru 2.5RS, depending on what it's being used for. I absolutely LOVE the gear ratios and powerband
                Of course, if they ever make the Speed3 an AWD vehicle, I might just forsake my BG stable...

But I digress. Like you say, everyone want's Big Numbers. I was recently told to not focus so much on the numbers, and try to focus on what the goal is.

gigantic numbers , if they're in a place where the car can't use them, are just a waste of money!

--sarge

Comment

Couldn't agree more Sarge. What are your thoughts on the Evo X?

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                    if they ever make the Speed3 an AWD vehicle, I might just forsake my BG stable...
                    You can make a speed3 AWD by using the speed6 transmission and either a CX-7 rear subframe like DG Motorsports did, or a jdm mazda3 rear subframe (jdm mazda3 has an AWD option). In the end they only gained 60lbs over the stock weight... pretty impressive. Just add a center diff, rear diff, propshaft, rear driveshafts, fuel cell (or find a suitable saddleback fluel tank?), and a little custom work to compensate for the higher/wider CX-7 subframe
                    DG MOTORSPORTS - AWR MAZDASPEED3 At first glance, the DG Motorsports AWD MAZDASPEED3 may look like the stereotypical SEMA show sport compact, but the truth lies hidden beneath. MAZDASPEED, DG Motorsports and AWR teamed up to build much more than the average tuner car. David Green, owner and chief designer of DG Motorsports, felt that

Now that the dust has settled on our MAZDASPEED3 AWD Project, we got around to sorting out the specs. With all the modifications we did to the stock MAZDASPEED3 , we only gained approx 60 lbs. Amazing and still 400 lbs lighter than a MAZDASPEED6. MazdaSpeed 3 MazdaSpeed 3 AWD MazdaSpeed 6 Lowered yes yes

Last edited by Crazy Drummer69; 03-15-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Nice score on the MS3, Kyle. If my brother keeps throwing the keys to his MS3 at me saying: "buy this from me", I just might take him up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by deadly_sleeper View Post
                        Since it is an 07, they had some problems with some of them at the factory and the rear motor mount was not tightened all the way, and the bolt will work itself out, you might want to check the service records on it or crawl under the car yourself. If loose, pull the bolt out (the other motor mounts will hold the engine in place, no need for jacks) and put some lock tight on it and tighten it to spec. Or just pull out the weak RMM now and replace it will a stiffer one and then not have to worry about it. But either way, I'd still check it for piece of mind.
                        Im actually a Mazda Auto Technician. :D Im quite familure with the MM issue and plans for stiffer mounts are in the works.

Originally posted by BFMRGTX View Post
                        Nice score on the MS3, Kyle. If my brother keeps throwing the keys to his MS3 at me saying: "buy this from me", I just might take him up on it.
                        DO IT!!!
                        Terry, I cant tell you how much I love this car. But, thats not saying much comming from someone whos only ever really owned a stripped down BF GT and a 66' Impala. If you want an awesome car thats worth its weight in gold (Well, it is to me anyways) the go for it. Oh, tell him ppl are picking them up for as little as $10k and see what he says for a price.
                        Mazda
                        1988 Black 323 GT
                        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by 808 View Post
                          Bye bye 323 GT.. Wanna just sell it to me now and get it over with?
                          Wanna bye a white one as a roller? No rust or body damage! Im seriously selling the white project. Cant have 3 cars. You can add this to your "To Do" stock pile of cars!!!!
                          Mazda
                          1988 Black 323 GT
                          DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
                            DO IT!!!
                            Terry, I cant tell you how much I love this car. But, thats not saying much comming from someone whos only ever really owned a stripped down BF GT and a 66' Impala. If you want an awesome car thats worth its weight in gold (Well, it is to me anyways) the go for it. Oh, tell him ppl are picking them up for as little as $10k and see what he says for a price.
                            We haggled a (very good) price over a few beers.

My only caveat: I honestly think that Mazda's body styling for this generation is not so good - with the exception of the MS6. I really dig everything else about it. After a few autocross sessions, I was sold.

But time will tell if I end up getting it. The Jetta gets some damn good mileage but it's boring. The MS3 would make a fun, yet expensive commuter car.

Comment

The MS3 mileage is actually quite good if driven sensibly - comparable to a BP and the styling is better than 2010

The Speed6 is very nice looking I must agree.

Comment

Im very much attracted to the first gen speed 3's over the second gen. They just have that brute curvey beauty to them that most other car manufacturers dont have. I dont know, I just love the speed 3.
                                Mazda
                                1988 Black 323 GT
                                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Working...
                                X