MacGyver CV Boot repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickz View Post
    I was laughing with you man,not at you.(mostly) Lets see how long it holds.Looks like its working better than those split boots you buy at the jobber,now theres a piece of crap!!
    Hehe...I don't mind being laughed at a little bit, so no worries there. But yeah, I saw those split boots but they just seemed to be overpriced, a huge pain in the arse, and not so very reliable. I think this will hold up just fine for a until either the car completely dies (still haven't the know-how, tools, or willpower to tackle the crank keyway issue) or I can afford to fix it all up right.

Comment

Looks like it might of been a bigger PITA rigging that up then just buying a new or reman. shaft. I do not know what is "over-priced" in your opinion but a replacement shaft can be had for around $50.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider9864 View Post
        Looks like it might of been a bigger PITA rigging that up then just buying a new or reman. shaft. I do not know what is "over-priced" in your opinion but a replacement shaft can be had for around $50.
        Hmm methinks you didn't read what I actually said there. I didn't say a new shaft was "overpriced", I said that the split-style replacement boots were. I know I could buy reman shafts for about $45 a pop on RockAuto, or new boots for under $4 each. It's not the parts, it's the labor. Once I figured out the method my repair was quite simple and far from a PITA. It was certainly a helluva lot less work than would be required to replace the boot or shaft, or even to use the stupid split-style boots. And so far it's looking great. No leakage, no problems at all. If the car doesn't die in the next year or so then I might have to look into either repeating the repair or sucking it up and replacing the shafts, but for now it's fine.

Comment

Working...
        X