No announcement yet.

323 gtx noob questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans should shift nice and smooth. Jack it up, check for play right at the centerdiff output, see if there's any upndown motion on the propshaft. If you get the chance, drain a bit of lube from both the trans and centerdiff. We want clean looking stuff without too much in the way of shiny powder.
    It looks worth the money in the pix, though underhood shots would help. Check for rust around the rear subframe and inside fenders and the usual locations. Wheelbearings are overlooked, difficult to replace, and even weaker than that gearbox. Hubs are made of unobtanium so if a bearing went bad enough to ruin one, you're pretty much screwed. Check for any wheel play, preferrably when it's off the ground.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by cdde323 View Post
      There are 4 common problems with the transmission... one is immediately noticeable, the other 3 are usually sudden with no real way of preventing if they are already in bad shape.

1.) Synchros: driving it.. if you can shift at speed without double clutching, you're good.
      2.) Planetary: cross your fingers... at a stop, engage the diff lock, drive straight down a street, bad noises? no? good... make a slow speed turn on asphalt, you should hear the rear tires skip/chirp just a little, other noises? no? good... stop, disengage diff lock, does it actually disengage? repeat. This is not a definitive test, it could blow up tomorrow.
      3.) Gear shaft + worn casing = lateral movement in gear set: cross your fingers... that is the only test.
      4.) Transfer carrier can become an issue if previous owners have never replaced the fluid... but it's actually a pretty beefy part if it's been maintained. There is also no way of checking... I wish you luck.

Rear arch rust is extremely common on these cars, it can be fixed... it's the underbody/rockers and strut towers you want to look at.
      Extra helpful, Thanks!
      I have never bought a car with rust unless i had planned to daily it, or beat it to death while DDing it (s12 XD)
      but I like these cars.

Originally posted by jay View Post
      Trans should shift nice and smooth. Jack it up, check for play right at the centerdiff output, see if there's any upndown motion on the propshaft. If you get the chance, drain a bit of lube from both the trans and centerdiff. We want clean looking stuff without too much in the way of shiny powder.
      It looks worth the money in the pix, though underhood shots would help. Check for rust around the rear subframe and inside fenders and the usual locations. Wheelbearings are overlooked, difficult to replace, and even weaker than that gearbox. Hubs are made of unobtanium so if a bearing went bad enough to ruin one, you're pretty much screwed. Check for any wheel play, preferrably when it's off the ground.
      I'll text and ask for underhood shots.
      He said he will have the title some time this week, thats when i'll plan a trip.
      Like I said, I'm almost worried there is something like a bad hub, or bad rad, etc and that's why its already back up for sale

Are there no hub swaps that can be pulled off successfully?
      Do the hubs hold up otherwise, Like if i were to have new bearings put in for.. preventative maint?
      how about having the hubs bored for better bearings?

There is a parts car for sale local to me, but the trans is blown and it has sat for 10 or so years... they want 1500 for that.
      Last edited by phantommaggot; 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering if this is terry w's car he sold his gtx to a mazda dealer in north carolina,that one was a one owner car if not mistaken.nice to find previous or at least how many owners,the fewer for longer periods of time the better man.the details to that particular car are on yaahoo gtx.long shot,but you never know.

Comment

where?
          lol

There?
          That is some old school BBS

the car is in north carolina

Comment

The bushings at both ends of the shifter cable might need to be checked too. Also, there is a small, square, bushing on the shifter that deteriorates and will end up with a sloppy shift.

Jacsport used to sell a poly replacement, but I'm sure if you got ahold of some delrin you could fab your own.

Comment

Originally posted by phantommaggot View Post
              where?
              lol

There?
              That is some old school BBS

the car is in north carolina
              http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/73678 hows that?

you go to facetube?
              never been there myself,says hes got a photo to compare it to.

Comment

trying,
                Guess i need to sign up and send him an email
                IDK how to find his facebook,

He is from charlotte though, and the car could very well have gone to auction from a mazda place.

Comment

found his facebook, all I could tell from the pics it would let me view is the he drove it with no center caps on the wheels......
                  Does he post on here....

Comment

Hubs are made of unobtanium so if a bearing went bad enough to ruin one, you're pretty much screwed. Check for any wheel play, preferrably when it's off the ground.
                    Hubs are still available brand new. Russ from Roo-Sport.com gets them brand new, not sure from where. Price isn't too bad either. They're Capri hubs but are the same as the GTX piece
                    1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                    1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                    www.werbatfik.com

Comment

That's new. I bought the last set on the continent according to Mazda, back in '06, and they were out of production long since before that. Glad someone found a way to provide replacements.
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

so the front hubs for the capri will fit front and rear on the 323?

Comment

probably overseas Capri/Laser. I don't think the domestic article is the same but ain't sure. Been too long since I looked into it...

Comment

Originally posted by nickz View Post
                            I'm wondering if this is terry w's car he sold his gtx to a mazda dealer in north carolina,that one was a one owner car if not mistaken.nice to find previous or at least how many owners,the fewer for longer periods of time the better man.the details to that particular car are on yaahoo gtx.long shot,but you never know.
                            He emailed me back ! Its his.

Comment

Well, got a reply, I'm considering skipping the car. Unless the guy cuts me a huge deal.
                              the original owner said it was in an accident. The trans needed to be rebuilt since it was grinding into second. It does however have a hybrid 11/14 turbo and MBC, tho it has no ecu tune.
                              Car has been in a small accident that required the hood, headlight, and some other stuff to be replaced/fixed.

I cant deal with a trans rebuild or replacement right now
                              Here is the C/L add for that car and the parts car i found.

http://swva.craigslist.org/cto/3001734701.html That is a black parts car.
                              This car is 100% my style (with the exception of red, I hate red -_-), but I have to be some kind of responsible with the project/daily I take on.

Comment

probably overseas Capri/Laser. I don't think the domestic article is the same but ain't sure. Been too long since I looked into it...
                                No the 91-94 Mercury Capri hub will work. The knuckle is different, the steering arm has different geometry for the AWD. When I did my AWD conversion I had the AWD knuckles apart to do the bearings, and compared it to my FWD capri stuff - it's the same hub.

Russ ("CapriTypeR") just sent me a picture of one. Shiny!

^Mag that parts car is a GT, which is a FWD turbo sedan, so it might not be the parts car you think it is. Good for the engine, though
                                1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                                1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                                www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Working...
                                X