Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new similar gas tank replacement from another car for a BF 88 323 GTX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new similar gas tank replacement from another car for a BF 88 323 GTX?

I did a quick search for "gas tank" "rusty" "rusty gas tank", etc. on the forum but didn't see anyone who had purchased a close replacement and modified it to fit the 323 GTX older than 1989. Does such an animal exist? I would like to find another saddle tank that would fit in the space that I could put holes in for the fuel pumps or other minor modifications. I tried to find a new 323GTX gas tank for sale, but it appears these are no longer produced. Anyone have any ideas besides fabricating my own (I don't weld well). I don't really want to purchase a used one that may rust soon, and they are not readily available usually. Thanks!

'88 Mazda 323 GTX hatchback

Fuel cell? Ask the yahoo list if anyone has one?

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
    1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
    1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
    1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
    1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

What about one out of a WRX or EVO would they not fit with a bit of modding?
      My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

Exactly. Has anyone found one that works well for the 323 GTX? I would rather mod a different new saddle tank than purchase a fuel cell and mount it higher or try to find an old used 323 GTX tank. Has anyone done this before? Any compatible or close sizes that would work?

Originally posted by 323GTX-RSA View Post
        What about one out of a WRX or EVO would they not fit with a bit of modding?

Comment

What about a saddle tank from an AWD protege? It has an internal transfer pump but looks the same as a BF GTX

Btw the awd pro tank I'm talking about is sitting in my shed collecting dust

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I bet that awd pro tank is gonna be just as hard to find as a gtx tank.
            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

^^like I said I have one, I'll probably never use it and I owe a friend some money

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well it should bolt right in. I think they're the same part number.
                '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Well as I said, the protege tank has an internal transfer pump as compared to a BF GTX having an external transfer pump, but otherwise they look identical

Comment

Pretty sure the BF gtx had an internal transfer pump too...

I've been looking for something to fit the GTXR2 so I can ditch the fuel cell. I'm working more and more towards just welding a custom tank, or modding a new stock FWD one. I've had my eye on Subie tanks but they all look much bigger. Can't really tell though
                    1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                    1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                    www.werbatfik.com

Comment

The GTX I had, the transfer pump was external, I'll dig up some pics later today and take some of my protege tank

Comment

yep external....right side of tank just has the float/switch to run the transfer pump

Comment

I would love to see some pictures. If it's the same part, it should be a piece of cake to put the GTX transfer pump in it. For some reason I thought my 323 transfer pump was internal, but it's been a while since I've taken that tank out.

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                          yep external....right side of tank just has the float/switch to run the transfer pump
                          Last edited by ebersmoo; 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I'll take some pics tomorrow in the daylight for you, if you don't get a PM from me tomorrow, PM me to remind me lol

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X