Drivability problem B6T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivability problem B6T

Hey all, I know its not a Mazda but it is Mazda powered! I bought a 1991 Mercury Capri XR2 with under 110k. It has a problem that I will explain to the best of my abilities. Known issues currently are leaking cam seals and CV axles both are torn.. Have the axles, cam seals, timing belt kit and water pump that will all go in when the time comes..

When driving the vehicle once in awhile the motor loses power.. Its not like a cylinder misfire.. Its like the whole engine just stops making power.. almost like a fuel cut

Last time it happened I had just gotten of the freeway and had started going up a small incline the motor was around 2.5k RPMS not boost when it just stopped making power, I pushed the gas pedal down farther... still nothing. I let off completely then reapplied the gas and it was back to normal... I went two blocks it happened again.. loss of power was for 1-3 seconds

I am thinking Throttle position sensor...

How can I test my TPS?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

-Brian

Tps, bad grounds, sticky vaf flap

Sent from my iPhone5
    using Tapatalk

Comment

How can I test the TPS, Which grounds should I check and what should I use to clean my VAF? Just some throttle body cleaner and a rag?

Thanks
      -Brian

Comment

Hop on Techcapri.com and grab the relevant sections of the service manual for checking the TPS. I'd guess you have a loose hose somewhere causing an intermittent vacuum leak

If you end up messing with the VAF, do NOT try to remove the connector with the two phillips head screws... you will brick your VAF. The harness attaches with a small spring wire clip around the outside, you'll see it
        1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
        1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
        www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Have a good look at the crank pulley and see if it is wobbling. Also let us know the build date from the sticke on ghe door jamb.

Comment

bad o2 sensor will mess up that ecu also,if you have a narrow band a/f gauge,kill it.never like those running off the stock o2.lots of good ideas above ya.

Comment

I will have to check the door Saturday, the crank pulley is good. I was planning to do the timing belt, water pump, cam seals ect today and drive the car up north for a few days but I hit a snag...

My exhaust camshafts front cap is bad and will leak. I need a replacement front cap, what other vehicles can I get a front cap off of/ where could I find one?
                Love my

1992 Protégé DX Totaled
                1991 Protégé LX SOLD
                1988 323 GT, 1.6 B6T 200k SOLD still on the road..
                1992 Miata Unofficial SE 76k
                1991 Mercury Capri XR2 101k
                1972 Monte Carlo

Comment

What is a front cap??????

Comment

The camshafts have caps holding them in place.. I need both front caps..

Comment

Working...
                    X