Wiring up pins and gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring up pins and gauges

Hey all - would love some help wiring up a quick release wiring harness for my new gauges to ensure I have decent anti-theft until I bother putting an alarm in. I sourced these parts from a Chinese Ebayer named uustore2011 who has some pretty spiffy stuff, all of which I scored for a grand total of $56.12. Here's what the assembly looks like buttoned up quickly out of the box - boost/vac, voltmeter, and oil pressure:

I'm planning to pop a hole in the back of this unit and use trailer connectors and a barbed fitting for the vacuum line all wrapped up in some wiring loom to keep things pretty and clean. The vacuum line I can handle with a golf tee plug, and trailer plugs are a dime a dozen at the local auto parts stores in a range of gauges and sizes. What makes this process a little bit complicated is that I must account for illumination, illumination grounds, ignition, ground, and sensor wires along with the vacuum hose for the mechanical boost gauge. All of the fittings and wires are designed for 18AWG.

1) The six wires shown are illumination and illumination grounds - can I just merge them into a larger gauge 2-pin connector instead of running six smaller wires through the gauge pod? That'll simplify hooking it up to the dimmer switch or dash lighting harness as well. Something like this perhaps: http://www.picocanada.com/en/product/1878.php.

2) The remaining six pins live on the non-mechanical voltmeter and oil pressure meter. Four are for ignition switch power and grounds, and the last two are the actual signal wires. http://www.picocanada.com/en/product/1879.php.

3) Any reason why a double-ended barbed fitting would be a bad idea for the vacuum line feed's quick disconnect? I don't foresee it being a vacuum leak or anything.

4) Sort of a dumb question, but can someone explain to me the difference between the sensor and ignition switch wires on the voltmeter? I would infer the volt sensor must be always hot and the ignition switch must be self-explanatory.

On the dash side of things, I'll just drill a hole for some wiring loom through the clock delete panel I suppose.

Thanks all,

A

3) Vacuum is nice, boost is not. If you can, use a compression style fitting or clamp that dude on there tight, eventually the pressure will pop it off.

4) As you said I would assume the voltage line takes the reading and ign line activated the gauge.

Sorry I'm not much help :/

Comment

Cool! Thanks bud. How does this look? Did I get this right?

Comment

Just got everything wired up with some test alligator clips and two 9V batteries. Oil pressure maxed out without the sensor being there and the voltmeter went to 9V obviously. Illumination looks pretty good though the boost gauge isn't as blue as the other two - something I kind of like! Now to get it loomed up, plugged in, and then installed! Will pick up a couple of trailer wire plugs tomorrow at the parts store and go from there.

Comment

Yes you can run only two wires for the illumination. Are there terminals on the back of the gauges for it or just wires coming out? If there's terminals you can run A-B then B-C then C to your harness plug to make it real neat
          1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
          1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
          www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Last step is just tightening up the terminal nuts a little more securely and making an exit point on the back of the cluster for the loom to run through!

Comment

Working...
            X