No announcement yet.

General questions and discussion - '87 323 SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know of a turbo version like yours that had the E5T and gearbox swapped for a B6T with its gearbox. As far as I know it was a straight swap but this was many many years ago. But you might have trouble as from memory the driveshafts are bigger on both the turbo versions. So a straight B6 and gearbox might slot in. But you’ll miss the Tick tick of the chain ��

Comment

It seems we'll be able to salvage the head. As per the advice in a BMW owners club on Facebook, we've been soaking in paraffin and blasting it with carb cleaner. There are now 3 bolts still in the head, and they do move a bit.

Edit: If needed, there is an E5 head at a local scrap yard. I didn't think I would find one, but I did.
      Last edited by JKuhn; 07-10-2020, 11:19 AM.
      '87 Mazda 323 SL - daily driver, backup show car (being restored as I get time)
      '82 BMW 518i (E12/8) with 32/34 Weber and Simota cone - old show car (stolen)
      '70 VW 411L Auto - show/restoration project to replace 518i - sold
      '99 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - show project

Comment

excellent progress. keep at it!
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Time to get the rebuild (and gasflow) going.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200712-WA0009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1245910

Comment

got the remaining studs free?
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

They're out.

The block is now at the engineering shop for a rebore, and the head is also in for a gasflow. I got some replacement head bolts today, as 6 of them had damaged threads.

Comment

by gas flow do you mean port work?

Comment

Yes.

We're not getting bigger valves, as that would incur more costs and I can't go wild. But the ports will be done.

And speaking of costs, I noticed little oil spots in the shade net "garage" where my Z3 stands. Turns out it's one of the rear shocks. WHY NOW?!

Comment

quite curious to see the end result!!

Comment

I'll be sure to post pictures here as well. It's just going to take a while, as project cars always do.

Here's a quick snapshot of what it looks like right now.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200714_160455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	1245912
                      Last edited by JKuhn; 07-14-2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

old school goodness! nice that you have window vent guards too

Comment

Just a quick question.

1. Single 32/36 (Weber knockoff)
                          2. Single 36 DCD7 (genuine Weber)
                          3. Twin carbs (seemingly off an E5S, just spoke to someone and he just has to check if he still has them)

I currently have the 32/36 knockoff (with an old RWD air cleaner that I modified). I can get the 36, and if they're available I can get the twin carbs. Bearing in mind I want any mods to be decently stealth, which route should I go?

Comment

Twin carbs and get the head skimmed while you’re at it. It will fly.

Comment

To be honest, I'm hesitant to skim more than what's needed. I know it will raise the cr, but I want to preserve as much metal as possible in case I need it later.

I'll see if I can get those twin carbs though.

Comment

skim it to the recommended OE max. usually around .25mm you can ALWAYS resurface it in the future past that mark. its not uncommon to see up to ~.5mm shaved in situations.
                                general resurfaces hardly remove any material.

Comment

Working...
                                X