No announcement yet.

newb buying a gtx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The motor bolts right in...I have one in my GTX #1 and the ecu wil run the motor just fine...in fact send it to Rocketman for an upgrade. ....dun that too. Now you can junk the shell.
    Clay

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
      The motor bolts right in...I have one in my GTX #1 and the ecu wil run the motor just fine...in fact send it to Rocketman for an upgrade. ....dun that too. Now you can junk the shell.
      Clay
      supposedly my ecu is already tuned for 18 psi. how much does rocketman run?

Comment

likely 16-18 who did your chip?
        Clay

Comment

Originally posted by g3mccotter View Post
          supposedly my ecu is already tuned for 18 psi. how much does rocketman run?
          Remove the cover from the ECU and take a picture of it. The EEPROM should have a white oval sticker on it with some writing. If your car is already chipped: EL Prototypes, Reich Racing, etc., then there's no point in spending money on yet another set of similar codes.

Comment

pictures!

i need help wiring my new b6t out of a mercury capri xr2 that i threw in my gtx.

Comment

i have a free case of bing energy drinks for anyone who could help me get this thing running right. im in southern denver

Comment

Read all the replies. Not much info, but you could try your luck with searching the archives. I'm pretty certain that someone on the forum could give you better results than I could.

Comment

thank yea that was useful. i have the engine already in. just needs to be wired still using the gtx wiring harness.

Comment

Well it don't sound like you took any pics or marked anything when you yanked the old motor did ya....The distributor will have to be swapped for the GTX unit or you can take the Capri piece and swap in the GTX harness as the plugs are different. Start matching plugs and connectors and marking them until all match up.
                    Clay

Comment

im not quite following you. i have to use the capri distributor if i want to keep the gtx harness? i must say we got a ways with it using the gtx ecu and wiring harness and just using the b6t from the capri. we got a ways but it came down to having power on both of the injector leads i believe. and that stumped everyone. after reading again i think what your saying is i can use everything i have but need to swap the distributor from my old b6t to my new one. and if i want to keep my distributor i have to use the capri harness?

Comment

He's assuming that you are dropping-in the whole Capri motor and Capri harness; the Capri's distributor has a different plug that is different from that of the GTX.

If you are not getting power to the injectors, check the first fuse in the fuse block on the driver's side, adjacent to the strut tower. The connector is bolted to the fuse block, and can corrode. You'll see what I mean if you poke around. Unbolt the block, flip it upside down, and inspect it and the fuse itself.

Comment

if i used the capri harness i would have to use the capri's ecu correct? is there any way for me to keep my gtx ecu? its been programmed thats why i ask. also the injectors are getting power but to both sides its getting power one is not a ground its getting power. could that be from the corroded fuse? i will check it worked fine before we pulled the motor so thats weird.

Comment

The distributors are the same except for the wire harness in the distriutor. The GTX engine harness will not accept the Capri disty and vice versa. Sorry to cornfuse you.

Comment

oh ok yea. pretty sure we got that straightened out. any thing else that comes to mind why we would be getting power to both injector leads when one is supposed to be a ground?

Comment

have you tried another ecu? when are you measuring the injector lead? ign-on? or while cranking?

the ECU grounds the injector in order to fire it. not sure elsewise but it might stay positive on both sides until the ecu grounds it.
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X