No announcement yet.

My car handles weird whenever i take my foot off the gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1. ASSuming everything in the front end is solid, then maybe this rocking thing is a totally clapped out rear end. It sounds more like a broken strut or strut mount, whether front or rear I dunno!
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I had the long mother of a bolt that ties the lateral links to the low end of the rear knuckle loose.It was difficult to tell but there was play between the lat.links & knuckle,even though the bolt was tight.Took a pipe & breaker bar to snug it up.

Comment

I'm having a problem too.

My Pro is diving around in corners which makes me think something is loose. About the same time this started, I also noticed a "bonking" sound at take off, as well as other times. I'm temped to say that I have a loose or broken motor mount but I don't know yet. There's an alignment shop down the street from me that has been fair and honest in the past. I'm going to ask him to put it up on the rack so he can test each element of the suspension for tolerance.

I have strut bars front and back
        tie bars front and back
        zx2 struts and eibach springs
        fairly new lower ball joints
        my bushings are worn I'm sure
        195, 50r 15s
        Last edited by 1st Gen; 03-10-2010, 11:01 AM.
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

That sounds like motor mount, and it's possible that the OP's side to side thing could be a motor declaring independence as well. Nothing like 3-400 lb torquing about with an inch or so of movement to make for some odd chassis dynamics...
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Found my problem. Besides finding a ruined CV boot, I also found a worn out left ball joint. Cheap ass china parts ftl!

I had to jack the car up by the frame to take the weight off the suspension, then just check the wheels for movement. The left side was flapping in the wind. Yikes!
            Last edited by 1st Gen; 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM.
            1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
            1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
            2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
            1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Took the car to alignment stand after replacing the inner & outer tie rod end & ball joint (knock out 3 weeks after installation) and got it aligned & everything tighten up. Thought my wobbling issue was gone, only to find out it was still present. I took the car to the mechanic and found out that the front left hub has a play in it and needs replacing. The area that the wheel bearing fits in is worn out. Problem is that I am not 100% sure if all the BF hubs are the same. What other hub can i use other from the Gt?

Comment

Originally posted by mazkam View Post
                Took the car to alignment stand after replacing the inner & outer tie rod end & ball joint (knock out 3 weeks after installation) and got it aligned & everything tighten up. Thought my wobbling issue was gone, only to find out it was still present. I took the car to the mechanic and found out that the front left hub has a play in it and needs replacing. The area that the wheel bearing fits in is worn out. Problem is that I am not 100% sure if all the BF hubs are the same. What other hub can i use other from the Gt?
                The hubs are the same, the uprights (knuckles) are specific to the NA 323, GT, and GTX.

Comment

dont listen to them..just put your foot on the floor and dont stop!

Comment

Originally posted by skyperez View Post
                    dont listen to them..just put your foot on the floor and dont stop!
                    Sound like you've been listening to Buju Banton's song "Driver don't stop at all"......lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai7mzkZcRsw
                    Last edited by mazkam; 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mazkam View Post
                      Sound like you've been listening to Buju Banton's song Driver......lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai7mzkZcRsw
                      not at all..even if i were I couldn't understand a word he's saying. :D

Comment

Music is the best., the Buju/Shabba/Tiger/Eek-a-Mouse era with a side note of YellowMan...LOL!

Comment

I installed new front cv joints, tighten up the front end & the problem persist. Two thing i found out.

1. The front left backing plate rubs constantly when driving, no matter how much i push it off the rotor. I thinking the front hub may need replacing.

2. The lateral links are worn out badly & i am unable to find new replacements. Think i should buy bigger poly bushings & get them mill down to fit the lateral links.

This is a really annoying feeling, especially when driving on a straightway.
                          Last edited by mazkam; 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Wow,you still have the problem.Is there no play in the wheel when it's off the ground?You can usually feel it when you rock it from 12-6oclock.Hope you figure it out,let us know. Nick

Comment

Found the out what the problem was. It was a worn out lateral link bushing, so i just replaced both of them left & right.

No more back end wondering like a drunk on the straights .

Lateral links
                              Last edited by mazkam; 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X