No announcement yet.

C is for CATASTROPHIC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole thing may need to become a sticky to help others avoid the same problems. Ordering new bearings today.

Comment

Ahh i gotta replace mine, and replace the rotors and pads on my rear disc swap.

Comment

Replacements made, non-torqued and staked accordingly, bearings packed to the gills with grease, all things good.

Comment

dude its not an axle nut.... Those get 150 ft lb's. The rear is a double taper bearing assembly that gets tightned down tight to seat the bearings then backed off just enough to hold slight pressure. Then a cotter pin is inserted to keep it from backing off. You try that on your disc hubs and you'll get the same result and more breakage and more cursage.

edit.... oh its been covered... proceed.
          88 323 GT - 03 Protege5 - 07 Mazda 5

Comment

yes sethro, through experimentation, trial and error, and the help of others, these lessons have been learned.

Comment

Ugh, now that this thread has been raised from the dead, i have to replace the rear discs and pads on my SE tomorrow... not looking forward to guessing how tight to tighten the nut.

Comment

im guessing this thread wont apply to gtx rear bearings... mine need to be done bad...

Comment

Originally posted by 89GTXGO! View Post
                  im guessing this thread wont apply to gtx rear bearings... mine need to be done bad...
                  GTX rear are the same as the fronts, I have a general guide here: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47538

Your Methods May Vary

-Rocketman
                  1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                  1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                  www.werbatfik.com

Comment

IIRC, the hubs, bearings, and seals are the same front to back. Could be wrong though.

Comment

Yeah the bearings and pretty sure the seals are the same as the fronts of a FWD BF or GTX fronts
                      1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                      1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                      www.werbatfik.com

Comment

I have always been told torque it to like 5 ft lbs, turn the hub which helps seat the bearing, then loosen the hub and get it JUST a smidge over hand tight (hand tight like hand turning a socket not just hand turning the bolt).

For all I know it could be a horrible procedure, but its what I do when I cross this old technology in the workplace .
                        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

So what happened to the disc conversion? I've got an 89 BF GT which is over due for such an upgrade, but I'm not 100% on how to proceed. Any in-put on which parts/components I should be sourcing?

Thanx in advance for any advice.

Comment

Working...
                          X