Swapping BG hubs/knuckles to a BF GTX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 808 View Post
    The fwd knuckle would require a different tie rod, and most people don't seem to enjoy the resulting change in steering.
    Correct on both counts. The Nissan tie rod is used. The steering ratio is made quicker, but it botches the bump steer geometry which makes it entirely not worth it. Stick with the AWD parts.
    Scott F. Williams
    Team Director
    Usually Sideways Rally Team
    www.usrallyteam.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott@USRT View Post
      Correct on both counts. The Nissan tie rod is used. The steering ratio is made quicker, but it botches the bump steer geometry which makes it entirely not worth it. Stick with the AWD parts.
      Does anyone have more information on this? as i have put fwd hubs on my car, it is not running yet so havent had a chance to see what it drives like
      Last edited by NoBoDy_nz; 02-09-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBoDy_nz View Post
        Does anyone have more information on this? as i have put fwd hubs on my car, it is not running yet so havent had a chance to see what it drives like
        Search the yahoo forum:

Comment

Anyone have a write up on this? Hypothetically speaking, if I take delivery of a GTX this weekend, I'll be converting it to all BG knuckles and hubs, etc.

If there is no write up, I'm reading this as all I would need to get is 4wd Protege Knuckles and hubs. Is that right? I can't remember ever doing a wheel bearing on a BG, are they part of the hub or a separate piece?

I know I'll need brakes, struts, and axles, just looking for what else I'll need for sure.
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Brakes (rotors and calipers) , hubs, spindles, axles, bearings, struts, springs, tie rods I believe.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
            1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
            1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
            1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
            1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Perfect. So the geometry is the same on these knuckles/spindles or whatever you call them as the BF stuff? It'll slip over the stock ball joint just fine?
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I believe so. I bought the car this way so I'm not 100%. I'm going to swap to MX-6 rear struts soon. They may work better than the Protégé ones.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Ok, assuming a spindle/hub swap all around from a BG 4wd Protege, and a bpt swap with a GTR rear end, would the BG axles fit, or would they be too long? I'm considering different engine/transmission options and thinking if the BG axles fit, the GT4 swap would be more feasible. No custom axles at least.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Well, this is a bit of a bust for now. I can't find the spindles anywhere! The dealer said Mazda has 3 left, all for the right hand side, and they're discontinued. Can't find a wreckers with a 4wd either.
                    sigpic
                    1992 Familia GT-X
                    1988 323 GTX
                    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

So I just want to be clear on another point. I'm looking at the collision guides to verify part numbers because I have a complete MX-3 front suspension with brakes, struts all of it.

Now my understanding is that the EC knuckles are the same as the BG knuckles. Hubs, calipers and bearings have the same part numbers between the MX-3 and DOHC Protege and there is only one part number for each of these parts. So can I accurately conclude that the AWD BG front knuckles are the same as the DOHC and therefore the MX-3?

I may still end up owning that GTX I was looking at last year and I will have all these parts laying around...so I'm just curious.

Comment

AWD knuckes are different, longer where the tie rod mounts to them. I've thought about modifying the FWD knuckles by cutting off the tie rod mount and making a custom steel mount that would bolt in place to have the proper steering ratio. The rears however are still eluding me for now.
                        Last edited by DuRWooD; 04-30-2011, 08:19 PM.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                        X