Announcement

Collapse

Merged Threads

All threads have been merged into regional general discussions.
If you need a thread moved to a specific state, Please PM a moderator
See more
See less

Looking for help & references for Suspension work on a 2000 BJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help & references for Suspension work on a 2000 BJ

Hi,
    Have been wandering around this forum for a while now, decided to register to get some help and info on an upcoming project, overhauling the suspension on my (wife's) Protege

Although it has been 2yrs since I moved to WA, I have not been to a single shop for repairs. (Basic maintenance I can do by myself)
    Looking for offers to take on the job (maybe even involve me, showing me a few things), referrals to shops & individuals on whose door I can knock.
    Payment in form of Booze, Dollars, etc. Also have a pair of BG E-codes flying around I have no use for.

Currently located On Camano, so Anything between Seattle and Bellingham goes. The car drives.

Already bought all parts that I think are needed (OEM/KYB)
    - Ball joints / tie rod ends
    - 4x struts
    - 4x strutmounts
    - back housing covers
    - bump stops

PS: Sorry for my English, it is not my mother tongue (German).
    Last edited by Crow2; 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM.

PM me for a phone contact of a pro I know who will do the job right. He's in Lynden, just outside B-ham.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

PM sent

Comment

*sigh*
        We had a bit of an argument here and I started working on this myself.
        Saves some money, right?! Well..., looks like ball joints are also needed, I had NO idea they are pressed into the control arm ($).
        This is a rust belt car, so there is a good deal of corrosion on certain things.
        Removing the swaybar stabilizer links proved to be impossible w/o destroying the mounts in the front plus the boots were toast anyway.
        Rear ones looked good, looked slightly different, so were replaced some time ago - and torqued down with max setting. Unable to loosen them to a point where I can use an Allen wrench to stop them from spinning.

Looks extra parts vs. budget for labour planned out in the beginning come close to a wash.

Comment

I have a very good friend of mine who moonlights by working on cars/truck, etc. He's a lot cheaper than typical shops and does great work. He works on my cars when there's things beyond my capabilities or when I'm too busy with other things. Totally rebuilt my '89 MX-6 turbo motor, helped to install lowering springs, new struts, half-shafts, brakes, starter, alternator, and so on. He's the only guy right now that I let work on my wife's BMW. I bought my 323GT from him.

Comment

Working...
          X