89 Acura Legend info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 Acura Legend info

My search for another protege does not go well.

I fear necesity may force me to buy an Acura instead. Does anybody know what I'm geting into?

It's an 89 Legend V6 w/ 148k mi. and a bad O2 sensor.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Yeah that sounds practical.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by Astyl
      buy a cheapass 200 doller car then take it too california and sign up too be on pimp my ride
      Wow, another completely worthless post...congrats.

Comment

acura's are goos cars, reliable as hell, is say go for it, pick up an o2 from a junt yard, if your feeling lucky, or buy a new one for god knows how much.
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

The O2 sensor is probably only 30+ bucks... I know the one for my '91 Honda was

BTW... wasn't there an '89 Legend on Pimp My Ride the other day?
          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
          '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
          '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
          '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

pulled off of MSN autos:
            2.7L 160 hp V6 engine
            19 mpg city/23 mpg highway

can't find any reliability information based off of that site, but going off of honda/acura reliability it still has life left in it. only problem, and it applies to all cars, with a vehicle with that many miles on it, there is a tremendous chance for it to become a money pit of repairs.. but if taken care of, you should make out alright with most any car you get. unless you buy a ford.. then you might as well throw away your wallet, because you'll no longer have cash to put inside of it
            kevin

Comment

Originally posted by www.cars.com
              1989 Acura Legend
              Kelley Blue Book Retail: $4,100 – $5,250

Jim Mateja
              Chicago Tribune
              March 27, 1989
              The Acura Legend LS sedan is a fine $22,000 sedan.
              Too bad the base price starts a few dollars shy of $30,000.

Having just test-driven the Mazda 929 sedan (Autos, Monday, March 20), which started around $22,000, we expected a lot more out of the Acura Legend LS, with its $29,960 base price.

Either the 929 is underpriced or the Legend is overpriced: The 929 is not underpriced.

In fairness to the Legend, antilock brakes are standard, and they are a $1,000 option in the 929. Also, a driver`s side air bag is standard in the Legend, though it`s not available in the 929.

The price gap is narrowed, but not eliminated.

In fairness to both, Mazda and Honda have been unable to keep a tight rein on sticker prices because of the rising value of the yen against the dollar.

The beauty of the Acura Legend is it showed that Honda could make large luxury cars, not just compact and subcompact high-mileage and high-performance cars. Legend is a top-notch, top-of-the-line car.

When the Honda Accord came out in the mid-70s, it set the standard for compact cars. Ride, handling, room, comfort and an array of standard equipment made Accord the envy of the industry-until others caught up.

Honda rested on its laurels a bit too long with the Accord, until it brought out the LXi version.

Legend is a similar case. Ride, handling, room, comfort and a long list of standard equipment. But others have caught up. The 929 is a worthy rival. So is the Continental from Lincoln-Mercury. Toyota Cressida is no slouch and costs several thousand less. And consider the restyled and longer Cadillac Fleetwood, which starts for only $340 more than Legend.

This fall, Toyota`s Lexus and Nissan`s Infiniti debut, raising the standard of luxury-and the price to the $35,000-$40,000 range-among Japanese cars.

Acura brings out a new Integra coupe in May, but the Legend sedan won`t be redone for a while, perhaps not until 1991.

The Legend is built on a 108.7-inch wheelbase and is 190.6 inches long, which compares with a 108-inch wheelbase and a 187.5 inch length on an Oldsmobile Toronado. One other dimension worth noting is width. The Legend offers 68.9 inches; the Toronado, 70.8 inches. You feel that almost 2-inch difference with the Legend.

We test drove the LS four-door sedan. The exterior has been refined for 1989. Headlights, grille work, color-keyed bumpers, hidden windshield washer nozzles, bodyside moldings and taillights have undergone minor revision.

Power is supplied by a 2.7-liter, 24-valve, fuel-injected, 160-horsepower V-6, teamed with a 5-speed manual transmission or 4-speed automatic. Our car had a dual-mode automatic, which means you can push a button to switch into a sport mode for higher shift points and quicker off-the-line, passing or merging capability.

The 2.7 provides adequate power, but with most Japanese carmakers prep aring to bring out V-8 engines, it would come as no surprise if Legend eventually has one.

New for `89 is a double-wishbone rear suspension, giving the sedan the same four-wheel double-wishbone suspension as the Legend coupe. The suspension system includes coil springs, fade-resistant gas-pressurized shocks and front and rear stabilizer bars. Ride and handling are very much above average.

The standard equipment is impressive and includes speed-sensitive power rack and pinion steering, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, performance-rated Michelin 15-inch steel-belted radial tires, brushed aluminum alloy wheels, 10- way power driver`s seat with memory, four-way adjustable passenger seat, rear-seat lap and shoulder belts, childproof door locks, leather-trimmed upholstery, power windows and door locks, air conditioning, cruise control, power sunroof, digital quartz clock, dual illuminated vanity mirrors, tinted glass, rear-window defroster, AM/FM Bose stereo withc ssette and a driver`s information center, for readings on such things as miles to empty, fuel consumed, oil/coolant/washer fluid levels and a reminder when the next oil change is due.

Other noteworthy Legend sedan features include a spacious trunk; automatic shift lock, which prevents you from moving the lever from park without depressing the brake pedal; and ceiling-mounted reading lights for rear-seat passengers.

If changes were to be made, we`d like to see Honda widen the body a few inches to improve arm and hip room; relocate the power mirror buttons from behind the steering wheel, where they are hard to see and almost impossible to use; and, of course, lower the price.
              '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
              '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
              '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

my brother had an '89 legend, and he drove it for about a year and a half, putting upwards of 50k miles on it before he sold it...
                the guy he sold it to still drives it, i believe (he works at my dad's shop, and i saw it last time i was there) and i know that thing was in it's mid-200k miles when we got rid of it.
                good car, rarely had problems (most were just my brother not maintaining it)

one good thing about hondas... they're immortal...
                my accord was over 300k when i broke the tranny (and headgasket.... at the same time)
                justin
                Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
                installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

Thanks guys.

I got it.
                  1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Comment

did you buy it?
                    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                    225.94wtq
                    torque monster!!!!
                    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Yes.

I like it but I dont love it. It makes me miss my pro.
                      1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Comment

make it look somewhat pretty. then sell it to some honda owner when you find a good deal on a pro.
                        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

yeah, a wanna-be-balla will buy it whenever... just put some neon lights and spinnaz on that big-body!!!
                          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Working...
                          X