Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93-97 Ford Probe v6. What do you guys think ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93-97 Ford Probe v6. What do you guys think ?

I dont really like ford but since I started fixing up the 323 and when I bought my p5 I found out that some mazda share engine w/ some of fords car.

I remember seeing this green Ford probe back in '97 at a local street racing. He was unbeatable at the time and found out that he was running 12's. Anyways, I want to buy another car that I can work on but I want something reliable and already fast were I wont need to do an engine swap. So what do you guys think about the probe? Is this reliable?

BTW, I saw one '93 probe gt V6 for $1,500 w/ 14X,XXX miles.

Buy that bitch and drop a KLZE in there!!! I've been considering a Probe also. I really like the fact that are some actual nice body kits available for them.

93' 5spd DX
    R.I.P

Comment

I'd buy it, my dad's '93 PGT has 214,000 miles and it's still on the original clutch. Runs great, the KL is a marvelous engine. Plus IMO the Probe is much more useful over the MX-6 due to the hatch.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

i dont know... I had a ford Taurus SHO and loved it to death... and if you have a KL-ZE... sure, your engine may last, but, probably like me, all the other parts on that car guarantee will give you trouble down the road. As long as you have the money for taking care of it you should be okay... but if you are looking for reliability... I would suggest something else...

just my two cents
        1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
        1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
        2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
        2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

why waste your time with a probe when you can get the 400lb lighter MX-3? Sure it comes with a 1.8 v6, but you can directly swap a 2.5 probe or KLZE into it and make it run 11's not 12's .

I know of a twin-turbo KL MX3 who actually lives up near me in baltimore. that thing is ****in fast
          93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
          02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
          05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I personally think the Probe looks a lot nicer than the MX-3. And from everything I've heard they're pretty good cars.

Comment

Ford Taurus is one of the worst car you can own. Sorry XxTokesxX.

I was considering the mx-3 but they cost a lil more than a PGT. But will definitely look into it.

Body kit? come on now protegebob. Did you ever see my 323 with bidy kit?

Anyways, I remember driving a ford probe gt about 3 years ago and I hated it when I was driving it. It was slow but not as slow as my p5 but it can easily out run by my 323 w/ no mods just the bp swap.

Comment

The Probe was manufacturered by Mazda, so reliability of parts is not a problem. A Taurus is manufacturered by Ford, and the SHO is powered by a Suzuki engine, so naturally the engine is fine but the rest of the car is good old Detroit garbage.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

Yamaha engine!
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

lol, I say go for it.
                    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                      Yamaha engine!
                      Thank GOD you corrected his statement... I was gonna let loose!!!

YAMAHA is RIGHT... 220hp, dual overhead cam V6 homie. Only Taurus w/ a 5 speed, but only SHO fans really care about that car, so let me shutup.

1ofthefew:
                      I went through what you were going through... and basically I was just giving you some advice. I went from wanting a probe, to mx-6 to mx-3 and so on... I just basically did some research on all of them. The only thing I can do is give you that advice from 'my' experience. Probe's are nice, don't get me wrong... (I love the body style) if your looking for a project car. My friend had a GT and had MANY a problems... the thing ate his soul and his wallet, and he wouldn't let go until the car let go of him. With all due respect, if you like the KL-ZE and have the money... get an MX-3: swap it in, its lighter, its faster... and just overall a better car.

On the contrary, the most important thing is your happiness... and if you have to buy the car to attain happiness, do it... but if your worried about money, sheer satisfaction, and just being able to drive the thing without having to pay an arm and a leg, I would go with something else other than ford.

and leave my SHO alone!

MeeN

Comment

Sorry! I meant Yamaha. I thought it was a V8 though...

Comment

Funny thing is, most people that I've known that owned SHO's didn't complain about **** falling apart, if anything, it was the high maintenance costs of that Yamaha engine that kept them from keeping it on the road for more than 4 months at a time without major repair. Aside from that, the Taurus/Sable was just a poorly built car. It wasn't really made to last more than 10 years. I really don't know that you can fairly say that about ALL fords, however, I would suggest that you research the car's history, look at recall/frequent repair issues and take it from there. They aren't bad looking cars, so do your research and buy wisely.
                          Kevin

Comment

The old SHO's were V6's, and the last one they made was a V8. IIRC.
                            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Yes...
                              First Gen = 89-91 Yamaha; V6 - 5sp/auto
                              Second Gen = 92-95 Yamaha; V6 - 5sp/auto
                              Third Gen = 96-99 IIRC; V8 - Only Auto

Originally posted by Kevin
                              Funny thing is, most people that I've known that owned SHO's didn't complain about **** falling apart, if anything, it was the high maintenance costs of that Yamaha engine that kept them from keeping it on the road for more than 4 months at a time without major repair. Aside from that, the Taurus/Sable was just a poorly built car. It wasn't really made to last more than 10 years. I really don't know that you can fairly say that about ALL fords, however, I would suggest that you research the car's history, look at recall/frequent repair issues and take it from there. They aren't bad looking cars, so do your research and buy wisely.
                              Kevin
                              Kevin,
                              From my and CincySHO's experiences... the engine was fairly easy to maintain. I personally have never had any problems enginewise. The ford components were very pricey and for the most part were too overwhelming for me as a high school student. I guess generalizing all fords was wrong of me.

Aside from that, yeah, that 24 valve 3.0L held up to some abuse, but, personally I think a lot of its power is limited because of its weak tranny. If I would have had the money to buy the specialized aftermarket parts, that cars potential possibilities were limitless. If I get older and get settled, I will find myself another one to play with.

Meen
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 07-10-2005, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X