89 grand prix ocasionally stalls... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 grand prix ocasionally stalls... ?

Ok so my friend finally got his first car....long story but he had NO money so his dad bought him an old 89 grand prix for $400....its got the 2.8L v6 with 4 speed. He complained that it would stall all the time at lights unless he kept his foot on the gas....i test drove it and yes this was the case. After further inspection of the engine i noticed that the tranny fluid was bone dry.....wonderful....

Long story short i took it to the shop and did the full service for his budget. New air filter/oil filter....new oil and tranny fluid....the car started running REALLY good especially after we put REDLINE fuel treatment in it. The stalling BARELY happens now but it does happen.....it pulls really nice for a $400 car.

Anyway...any ideas on this stalling problem? It only stalls in a stop light situation...when u slow down and its still in drive...it dips to around maybe 600-700 then shoots up a little bit more then just dies.
    Last edited by 91ProtegeDX; 10-09-2005, 10:32 PM.
    1991 Mazda protege DX (SOHC) 5spd
    Short ram cold air
    stock muffler back on
    NGK plugs
    14inch miata steelies w/toyo proxes p185/60r14 82H - back
    13inch protege steelies w/toyo proxes S rated - front
    stripped a/c

1993 saab 9000cse turbo 5/spd
    Garrett TB-25, solenoid cut off at 17psi
    Gutted cat w/borla muffler
    Aero spec clutch (7k miles old)
    Running 5w20 full synthetic...(241,***)
    16inch Aero rims
    Aero Moldings
    Bridgestone Potenza 205/55VR16 91V - all 4

Best guess would be a sensor. What excatly did he get done for a tune-up? Fuel filter, spark plugs, wire, cap, etc.

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

Working...
    X