No announcement yet.

My new $300 K-car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL NICE has the knobs and all, post pics with the install.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Radio's in; I'll snap a picture later today.

Hey-- Rusty steelies or $15 Target plastic hubcaps? I could go either way.
      ~Mark.
      2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

hell go with the hubcaps, lol make her look pretty
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Paint the steelies yellow! and spray a number on the hood

Comment

YELLOW?!? Don't think so...

Drove her to work the past two days...MAN, are those tires out of balance. Have to stop off at firestone on the way home some night & have them balanced.
            I tried to re-aim the headlights (way out of whack) and broke an adjuster (little nylon doodad with a screw in it), so I robbed one from one of the high-beams to fix the low-beam, so there's no high-beam on the right side right now. It's "three-eyed" until Saturday when I can get to the junkyard & get another adjuster.
            Still no muffler. Neighbors haven't complained yet.
            ~Mark.
            2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

that is one of hte most beautiful things i have ever seen. I would jsut take the steelies and spray paint em black. screw hubcaps

Comment

Well, just like any good K-car, she goes thru the snow like nobody's business.

I forgot that older cars don't have a floor/defrost setting for the heater, it's either one or the other...What a hassle.

Changed the spark plugs. 2 of them were all oily. Not a good sign. But if it lives thru the winter, and keeps me from driving the Protege in this ****, I guess I don't care. If it makes it until April or May, I'll have gotten my money's worth out of it.
                ~Mark.

Comment

Beaters are so much fun - I've owned plenty.

It's really great not to care. If the car dies, take your stuff, and leave it where it sits. Love that feeling.

Oh, and another great snow car - the boxy Nissan Sentras - I had an '88 that was incredible in the snow. I swear I drove through snow up to the door sills and never got stuck. Lots of fun with a 5-speed and e-brake too - I own3d that car, lol.

And be sure to go have fun in the snow with it - hit a big parking lot and get her up to 40 or 50 mph and hit the brakes, go as fast as possible in reverse and crank the wheel, **** like that. Soooo much fun - especially when it's no big deal if you smack a snowbank or other "soft" obstacle.

Good luck.

~HH

Comment

Pfft 88 volvo station wagon 740 Gl. What a beast, no one could stop that rear wheel drive machine in the snow.
                    Visit My Garage

Comment

I used to have an '89 Beretta GT, and after a hard snow one time I drove on a road drifted over that had snow LITERALLY up to my bumper. I drove through about a 1/2 mile of that ****, it was a tank. Good ol' momentum. Then when I got out of it, it overheated because the accessory belt broke from all the snow crammed into the engine compartment.... hahahaha... good times.
                      Dan
                      dreesemonkey

Comment

Well, since you guys brouught this thread back to life, I'll post an update:

It now has a new exhaust, courtesy of Car-X (too lazy to do it myself), bringing the grand total spent up to about $550. Much more pleasant to drive now. I sprung for a set of gray plastic hubcaps from Target, too. Purrrrrdy...

Gas mileage is awful, around 15mpg in town. I'm trying to figure out why.

Finally found my portable CD player/tape adapter, so I have decent tunes now.
                        ~Mark.

Comment

Assuming this engine has a PC valve, I'd change that first.

Amazing what a $1.99 part can do for your engine - seriously could be a major factor in your gas mileage.

~HH

Comment

PCV, air filter, plugs & wires are all brand new, but thanks. I'm going to check the rest of the ignition system if it ever stops snowing.
                            ~Mark.

Comment

Working...
                            X