What tools should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tools should I get?

This is not a snapon v. matco post. I Know what brand will be filling my tool box but id like to hear from experienced techs what tools they use the most, what tools they wish they had, and what tools they never touch.

My example would be my cousin who went through the Ford Asset Program told me not to get regular combo wrenches, they cost a ton and ALL he uses are his gear wrenches.

Im not looking for opinions as to his insight im simply asking if you had any pointers for WHAT tools fill my box.

like is the comefort grip really worth paying for on my ratchet? Where should i make sure NOT to skimp.

currently I have a BIG list to give to the snapon guy, I took his "student set" and swapped out some cheapies for better items. I just want to get the most bang for the buck.

Keep in mind that Im not really worried about cost, fortunately (or unfortunately) visa is paying for this order, and seeing as i get just over 50% off ill pretty much try to buy everything I can now (over the next 2 years). They will eventually cap me on my purchases though plus i dont want to pay for shiny tools to sit in an expensive box. Any input helps!

Thanks!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

some good tools to put in your box.
    1.noid light kit
    2.timing light that you can dial in .
    3.3/8 impact gun :perfect for exhaust and brake work.
    4.Stepha scope : good for noise diag
    5.very long needle nose pliers
    6.swivel set in 3/8 1/2
    7.stubby wrench and ratchets
    9.small cheap scan tool
    10.02 sensor special socket set
    11. 1/2'' impact gun
    12. and the pole locally found everywhere.
    14. compression tester kit

* my wish tool is a snapon solus scantool!!!!!! woo wooo!!! $3500

this are some tools i had to buy my self after asking to borough to many times!
    Last edited by 13thghost; 10-22-2008, 10:14 PM.
    GOD INVENTED TURBO LAG TO GIVE THE V8 A CHANCE!!!!!
    AND
    THE DEVIL INVENTED THE ''ANTILAG'' TO SHOW THEM NO MERSEY!!!!

Comment

a soft comfort grip will probly just get beat to sh*t against whatever parts it smacks.
      i say go for plain ol "hard ass metal" and wear a pair of fingerless gloves instead.

PS: your air compressor will be your best friend on those huge jobs
      Next!
      sigpic

Comment

its a good idea to have a few cheep things, and a grinder/welder available too.
        shawn and i never needed to buy "specialty tools, for say, removing the inner tie rod.

we just made it.
        Next!
        sigpic

Comment

+1 on gear wrenches

also the ratchets with the highest gear count are always a life saver in tight spots. I would also make sure you have a good multimeter, I personal like fluke as my dad is an industrial electrical and has had One is the past 10 years he has dropped had left in the rain and smacked around multiple time.
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

thanks guys... a fluke 87 is on the list.
            the scan tool is not so much an issue neither is the special tool as im in a dealer program and have multiple kinds of dealer provided scan tools, and all special tools provided... I actually just got a walk through of the new shop... yes NEW. Im stoked. This comming monday will be their first day working in it! We have all brand new road force tire balancers, brake machines, parts washers.

back to the tools though, i agree with the gear wrenches, my only concern is damaging them, over torquing them. part of it is my highschool auto teacher never broke a bolt free with his gear wrenches. Maybe he planted the seed in my head they were not as strong they actually are. I have a set and love them but like my teacher i dont do the heavy lifting with them.

as for the ratchets, i guess snapon just came out with an 80 tooth ratchet and those are on my upgraded list for sure.

Thanks for the input guys its much appreciated, i hope to see it keep coming!
            There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

dear fazda.
              please steal, and send me a parts washer.
              hugs, and cupcakes.
              jim
              Next!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FazdaBoy4ever View Post
                back to the tools though, i agree with the gear wrenches, my only concern is damaging them, over torquing them. part of it is my highschool auto teacher never broke a bolt free with his gear wrenches. Maybe he planted the seed in my head they were not as strong they actually are. I have a set and love them but like my teacher i dont do the heavy lifting with them.
                dont use them to break the bolts loose, that what regular wrenches are for. you use them to ratchet said difficult out after its broke loose
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.

Comment

tools....

you mentioned you have a new balancer ??? hope its a hunter gsp 9700 with road force . they are very sweet . ive worked with them for quite a few years . oh ya may want to buy a 90 degree ratchet . and a set of m pact gloves. the pro ones . with padded palms . trust me they help . especially when or if ya use a c.p. one inch impact for doing 18 wheeler work . and a set of 3m mini grinding and cleaning disks .

Comment

not really a "tool to buy" but in all of my years i have had atleast one beater rod/kinetic energy tool/whatever you wanna call it.

basically i have always made my own out of old 3/4" extensions and the like but you place one end on the offending material (usually out of hammers reach) and beat the other end with a hammer to complete the task. usually tapping free a part that you should wail on with a hammer but a punch wont work ect ect

there handy to have around, and till you have one you never would think to have one.

Originally posted by 5l1mm View Post
                    shawn and i never needed to buy "specialty tools, for say, removing the inner tie rod.

i have bought specialty tools, I just owned most of them already before i started working on cars with you :p

i still do buy some, like the stud puller I just bought at harbor freight and my handy new air die grinder with different sized collets for standard and dremel bits ^_^
                    Last edited by MD323; 10-23-2008, 01:15 AM.
                    -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

ohsnap i almost forgot.

a decent sized magnetic tray. I loved those things for working on steering racks and various stuff under the lift. no need to sit sockets and bolts on a cart just to have to reach back down for them. just stick it t the underside of the car and BAM! **** stays within inches of the action.

your back with thank you
                      -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Magnetic trays, and a magnet on a stick, and the snapon pry tool set. Those things'll make taking old seals and such out a .2sec job instead of a headache.
                        Compression/leakdown tester.
                        OBD reader.
                        Air tools.
                        One of those headmounted LED lamps, along with lots of real trouble lights, brighter is better.
                        Deepwell sockets, lots of them.
                        Extensions, to go with those sockets.
                        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

i sure do loves mah prybars.
                          Next!
                          sigpic

Comment

i think if i had a favorite tool it would have to be my micro head ratchet.
                            its a 3/8's ratchet, and the head is smaller than most of the sockets i put on it, awesome for getting into engine bays, and its got like 5 million teeth, so its easy to turn.
                            Next!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X