Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flushing the cooling system in my 93' LX...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing the cooling system in my 93' LX...

Hey folks. A couple-a-days ago, I got my new radiator in the mail. I had to get a new one because the one that's still in there has a leak at the base of it somewhere. Well, I have never done anything like this before. I'm learning about flushing the cooling system and bleeding the system. I'm rather overwhelmed to be honest. It makes me scared to do it. I don't know when...or even if the car's cooling system has been drained, flushed, and refilled. I checked the coolant by opening the Radiator's cap. The coolant looks good. With the leak, I've been having to add coolant quite often over the past few weeks.

So basically...my main question is....should I flush the cooling system after I install the new Radiator or not?

If you have any questions for me, please ask and I'll answer. I want this to be a do-it-myself job, but I need to be more clear on what needs to be done.

Thanks!

Rick
    My other car is a bicycle.

flush it before you put the new rad in .
    drain the system by removing the bottom hose ( with a bucket handy please )
    most if not all rad makers require you flush the system to warranty the new rad
    in general it's 2 hoses , 1 electrical connector for the fan , 4- 10mm bolts holding the 2 top brackets on the rad ( if auto you will have oil lines @ the bottom of the rad as well )

Comment

That's good advise Mazda. I really appreciate it. I'm new to this stuff.

Comment

yeah, its very straight forward to do. there's a air duct on top that you'll need to remove too. I'd also recommend replacing the upper and lower hoses and thermostat while you're doing the radiator.
        -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
        VF10 powered!
        262 Whp & 257 Wtq
        13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

the biggest pain in the ass is getting the trapped air out of the system.. it takes a while ...

Comment

Dang. I don't know if I can afford hoses and stuff. From a visible inspection, everything looks fine. But anyway ill take kt as it comes...airin the system and all.

Comment

I have another question. I have some Prestone Super Radiator Flush to aid in my radiator project. The directions are as follows:

1. With engine off and cool, remove the radiator cap. Drain radiator then close the draincock.

2. Pour entire contents of Prestone radiator flush into the radiator and fill with water. For systems larger than 12 quarts, use two bottles. Replace radiator to fully closed position.

3. Run engine with heater on highest temperature setting for 10 minutes after reaching normal operating temperature.

4. With engine off and cool, remove radiator cap, drain radiator, and close draincock. Refill with water and replace radiator cap to fully closed position. Repeat step number 3.

5. Stop engine and allow to cool. Remove radiator cap, drain system, and close draincock. Add enough recommended coolant to achieve 50-70 percent concentration. Top off radiator with water. Replace radiator cap to fully closed position. Run engine for 20 minutes to mix coolant/water.

6. If equipped with a non-pressurized coolant reservoir, rinse, drain, and refill with a 50-70 percent of coolant and water.

So those are the directions on the back of the prestone jug of radiator flush. My issue is with step number 5. It says to add enough coolant to achieve a concentration of 50 to 70 percent, then top off the radiator with water. The coolant I use is 50/50 (ethylene glycol). I don't think you can mix anymore water in that solution. So do I fill the radiator all the way up to make up for the "water" portion of this equation? Or do I just stop at step number 4, and basically follow the directions in my Haynes Manual from there? Any help and advise is appreciated. I want to make sure this process is done right.

Comment

If you're as new as you say you are to doing this sort of thing, I have a piece of advice. Get some cardboard cut to fit the radiator front and back, and tape em in place. This will prevent you from damaging delicate cooling fins while you wrestle it in there and then take the cardboard out. As for step 5, if you're using premix just fill it with that and call step 5 done. Be advised that buying premixed coolant is a goldern ripoff, charging you full price for half coolant and half water. The best coolant I've come across is the red stuff in the black bottles you get from the Toyota dealer. Mix that 50-50 with distilled water and go thrash. As for burping the air out, it's just a matter of checking under the cap and topping off till it settles in.
                Last edited by jay; 07-02-2012, 05:27 PM.
                '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Alright Jay, thanks for the advise. I appreciate it. And yeah, I'm pretty new at this. Most of my knowledge lies in the stereos and whatnot. Thanks for the help. I got some cardboard laying around I could use just for that.

Comment

Working...
                  X