Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what did you do to your non-Protege today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the exact same thing happen with my 626. I just built up a ball of weld on the end of the bolt until I could get a good grip with vice grips. The aluminum block dissipates heat well, so it doesn't get messed up when you weld on the bolt.

I was able to get it out with the engine in the bay. I was close to pulling it so I could drill it out. The weld method worked surprisingly well.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DuRWooD; 08-05-2013, 11:28 AM.
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a welder. I bought one of those extractors and it broke turning it out. Its harder then my drill bits and I was unable to break the broken extractor so I think I'll have to ghetto it for now and hope it won't leak. Worst comes to worst I'll pull it off again and try welding a bolt to it, don't know if it will work. If it holds though I think I'll just leave it be.

Comment

Dude, I'd pay someone to come over and weld it for you; they're all important bolts.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Yeah you're right, I think this is a good enough reason as any for me to finally buy an oxyacetylene setup.

Comment

Well, I have very little experience with oxy welding, but I'd be concerned about melting the block to get the bolt hot enough for a strong weld. I've only used oxy once to weld though, so I'm quite inexperienced as to how to do it properly.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

got a call from the machine shop yesterday morning- apparently the head is so warped that it would have to get decked a ****-ton to be straight, and even then the odds were good that I'd break a camshaft because the bearing surfaces were warped too. so they're going to straighten the head, which means I'll be into it for $375-ish instead of $100. awesome.

the guy said that what probably happened was that the head gasket went and pressurized the coolant system, which is why it popped a freeze plug in the first place. should have changed the head gasket while I had the motor out- lesson learned. at least it's possible to fix the head, and I'll have it back some time next week.
              sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
              92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

got my scooter running again!
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Bought a 99' Mitsubishi Fuso FE-HD with a direct injected 3.9 liter turbo diesel 4 banger as a motor/trans donor.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...-run_18851.htm

Comment

I like where this is going.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
                      I like where this is going.
                      Me too. Everywhere, followed by the smell of french fry grease!

Comment

Comment

so the track car sort of blew up at the last event on the 5th. cylinder 2 was low on compression (155ish compared to 175-180) but we figured, hey, **** it, and ran it anyway. first run after lunch (probably 9th of the day) car lost power, and blew oil out of the dipstick all over the engine bay. two days later the motor was out of the car- ran lean at one point on that cylinder and melted it/cracked the ring langs, hence the crankcase pressure blowing the dipstick out. motor's at the machine shop now, he's building a lower-budget Tomei crate motor clone for next season.

since the motor is out, we're painting the car. today we washed it with DX330, taped off the moldings, and started to scotchbrite the paint and clean up the spots where the clearcoat was peeling up from the ****ty prep work on the last paint job. later this week will be more sanding, and I'm going to start on the body work.

as for my car, I discovered when looking at his with the motor out that my braided clutch line is on reversed compared to his- apparently he had the clutch line the way mine was at first, and it always leaked and the pedal was never right. I'm gonna swap mine around later this week and see if maybe I'll have a clutch that works the way it should before I rip the transmission off and install the Spec stage 1 that I just bought.

****ing Nissans.
                          sigpic

Comment

Broke my DA working on the driver's door of the track car, so I moved on to repairing the passenger rear over fender- the fire damage was pretty bad, but I'm pretty sure I can get it looking good again.
                            sigpic

Comment

Added some color to the daily.
                              12 cbr250r: daily ride
                              01 saab 9-3: daily
                              98 gsxr 1100: for sale
                              93L: money pit/ space waster
                              92GL: low and slow beater
                              90?: the rust free shell
                              89LX: swapping to rust free shell
                              89L: for sale
                              89L: parts
                              87 conquest: dohc 4g64 swap underway
                              76+80 vw dashers: for sale

Comment

Jesus, I look under that hood every day... usually looks a little different.

What exhaust manifold and turbo are you using?

Comment

Working...
                                X