Mazda most fuel-efficient brand in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda most fuel-efficient brand in the US

Zoom-Zoom, indeed. Toyota may be the world's biggest maker of hybrids and Nissan may be making big strides on the plug-in front with increased sales of its Nissan Leaf electric vehicle, but it's Japanese automaker Mazda that has once again topped the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) list of most fuel-efficient automakers selling vehicles in the US, increasing its Model Year 2012 average by half a mile per gallon compared to MY2011.

Mazda wins with a 27.5 mpg average.

According to the EPA's "Trends" report (PDF), Mazda not only had the highest fleetwide fuel economy last year, but it also had the lowest emissions rate among the 11 largest automakers in the US. Mazda boosted its 2013 model-year fuel economy to 27.5 miles per gallon, up from 27 mpg. The company's fleetwide emissions fell to 324 grams of CO2 per mile, down from 328.

Honda came in second on the fuel-economy front with an even 27 mpg, while Volkswagen and Subaru tied for third at 26.2 mpg. Chrysler/Fiat filled out the bottom of the list with 21.6 mpg, just beaten by General Motors with 22 mpg. Chrysler/Fiat did have the largest year-over-year fuel economy jump at 1.5 mpg, however.

Mazda has eschewed hybrid and plug-in powertrains in favor of its more efficient Skyactiv engines and platform development technologies, and it also doesn't offer many large vehicles – its CX-9 crossover sells in modest numbers and it doesn't offer any pickups. After years of slow sales, Mazda finally appears to be on to a winning formula, announcing plans in August to Skyactiv engine production because of stronger-than-expected sales. Mazda expects to sell 1.7 million vehicles worldwide by 2016, and Skyactiv engines are expected to account for 80 percent of those sales. Mazda's official press release is available below.
    i personally don't buy a car based on gas mileage, but its nice to know Mazda is making an effort to run with the big Japanese brands as far as economy goes, while still keeping their fun-to-drive reputation.

27.5 is ****. sad
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

to be fair, these EPA numbers compete with manufacturers that have a substantial number of trucks and large vehicles, but it also beats out combined hybrid/EV/diesel offerings of its competition. hyundai and kia were excluded from the EPA rankings because of an on-going investigation, but they 28.3 and 27.3 respectively. 27.5 mpg is pretty good in the US market.

Comment

Current EPA mpg rankings are still inflated unless you drive like an old person who can't afford to top off the tank. Good example is the current gen ford range being rated at 22/ 27. Unless its made of aerodynamic tin and powered by a hamster that's not realistic.

Also the rx8 is rated at what 20 total? Which is going to be the worst preforming mazda, hell their suv's do better than that.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

It was rated based on the 2012 product line, so the current 23mpg CX-9 and probably the outgoing mid-20s mpg Mazda5 drew the number down substantially. The current offerings all get 32mpg or better (save for the CX-9), with more full-Skyactiv new/revamped models to come. Still, that number was achieved with no hybrid or diesel models, so it's impressive nonetheless.
          Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

Here's some real-world fuel mileage figures for you. We took my wife's 2013 SkyActiv-G 3 on a trip to VT. Sixty-five to 80 mph cruise on the Interstate (mostly 6th gear but never hesitated to shift down when necessary) and then running on the numerous curves and grades in the Green Mountain state. A considerable amount of WOT on the grades. No attempt was made to conserve fuel. Total mileage ~ 550 miles; mean mpg = 36. The car is totally stock with nothing aftermarket added that might improve fuel economy. The stock configuration includes SAE 0W-20 synthetic oil and an ambient temperature air intake system that receives ram air. I would expect that an aftermarket exhaust system such as made by Racing Beat might provide an additional increase in fuel mileage at the expense of some additional noise (something my wife probably wouldn't go for).

Happy Motoring!
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Numbers more or less set the industry target IMO. Think, there were no major outliers in the data to skew it (favorably with hybrids or unfavorably with big SUVs).
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
              X