New Land Speed Record Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Land Speed Record Attempt

The current land speed record of 763 mph was set in Richard Noble's Thrust Supersonic Car (SSC) in 1997 driven by British RAF Wing Commander Andy Green. Now, nearly 20 years later, a new record attempt will be made with the same driver, now 53, at the wheel.

The new car is the Bloodhound SSC which will make the record attempt on a specially prepared track in South Africa and the whole project will cost ~ 40 million pounds and has attracted much big business backing.

The Bloodhound will be powered by a hybrid jet/rocket propulsion system. A prototype Eurojet EJ200 jet engine developed for the Eurofighter will take the car to 300 mph after which rocket engines designed by Nammo will boost the car up to 1,000 mph. The rocket engines will be fueled by liquid high-test peroxide (H2O2) and solid hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (rubber) which is said to be a cleaner form of rocket oxidizer and rubber than is used in most space craft. The combined engines will produce more than 135,000 BHP. Additionally, a 550 BHP Jaguar engine is fitted for use as an auxiliary power unit (APU) and to drive the oxidizer pump for the rocket engines.

It will be an engineering challenge just to keep the Bloodhound on the ground as it will supposedly hit 1,000 mph in 55 seconds from a standing start. At a speed of over 800 mph it's not known how a land-based vehicle will react.

The racing venue is a specially cleared 12-mile stretch of the Hakskeen Pan in South Africa's Kalahari Desert. For five years, 300 local workers have been removing 18,500 tons of rock from the dried-up lake-bed track. Later this year, the team will establish themselves in South Africa for three months. The plan is to aim for a top speed of 800 mph and a new land speed record. In 2016, the team will return with two additional rocket engines added to the car and a hoped for record of 1,000 mph.

Reference:
    A senior Hamas official was killed in an Israeli gunship attack in Gaza City today, in retaliation for Tuesday's suicide bus bombing in Jerusalem in which 20 people died, including six children.

Sorry, I can't get the link to open for some unknown reason. I'm sure I typed the address correctly. The article on which this summary is based appeared in the British newspaper, "The Independent" on Sunday, March 22nd 2015. If you go there and look for Motoring/Motoring News you may find it. Otherwise you'll just have to take my word for the veracity of the material given. Or not.

Happy Thrusting!
    Last edited by goldstar; 03-25-2015, 10:55 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

should be interesting!!!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I've been seeing blurbs about this for a couple of years now. Glad to hear they're finally going to do it. I can't even imagine the amount of courage (insanity?) needed to even contemplate going that fast on land. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on how the car and driver fare. Best of luck to the team. That's quite an amazing vehicle they've built.
      1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Sorta think the (no doubt solid aluminum, maybe titanium) wheel are gonna be acting more like skids than wheels. Surely a stretch of definition of the word "car"...
        Last edited by jay; 03-26-2015, 10:30 AM.
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

According to the builders, the four 36" diameter wheels will rotate at up to 10,200 rpm and will be forged from solid aluminum to resist the 50,000 g centrifugal forces.

Happy Thrusting!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

And I bet the gyro forces are being absolutely relied on to keep the thing ... umm... I hesitate to say "stable"... maybe "less unstable" is more to the point.
            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
            X