No announcement yet.

Anyone Hunt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

animals have a sense of smell that i like 300,000 times stronger than ours. They are hella smart and cunning and can EASILY outsmart a hunter. You have tohave patience, sometimes waiting all day in 1 spot. If you spook and animal that is close to you, its hard as **** to shoot a deer running at 30mph zig zagging through bushes and ****. Thats a challenge. Just becasue you have a gun dont mean your gonna win. Its not like you just go out, and the animals stand there and let you shoot em. You actually have to hunt to get them.
    Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
      Just becasue you have a gun dont mean your gonna win
      I understand that, but a gun is a BIG advantage. Just out of curiousity, what do you do with the animal when you do shoot and kill it? Do you just leave it there or what?

Hmmmm......it's what's for dinner....
      -------------------------
      '91 LX
      '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
      well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

hahah, naw Ill eat the animal. sport hunting like that isnt legal. If you kill something, you have to take it or give it to charity. Usually once you kill an animal, you gut it, take all the edible parts, and leave the bad parts, like brain, spleen, intestine etc in the field for some animal to come eat. Thats how it is here at least.
        Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
          hahah, naw Ill eat the animal. sport hunting like that isnt legal. If you kill something, you have to take it or give it to charity. Usually once you kill an animal, you gut it, take all the edible parts, and leave the bad parts, like brain, spleen, intestine etc in the field for some animal to come eat. Thats how it is here at least.
          Give it to charity?? What you just show up at a charity event with a gutted deer in the trunk. "Here guys, that's my contribution"
          So once you kill it, you have to gut it yourself? That doesn't sound like fun at all.

Either way, I am still not liking the idea. What if you badly injure the animal. The poor thing will be left bleeding, suffering and ****........no, not my idea of a fun time.........
          '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

hahahahahah, no if you contribute it to charity, you take it to the little cabin place out there, and they will take the animal take all the edible parts on the animal, cure it pack it and ship it to people in need and such. Im not sure what they do with the bad stuff. And no you dont have to gut the animal yourself either. If you dont want to, you can take to the same cabin place (im not sure what its called) and they will do that for you. Usually if you injure it you are supposed to track it as fast as you can and kill it so it doesnt suffer, but if your a real hunter you will shoot to kill, it dosent always happen, but you never try to just injure the animal.
            Eat ****.

Comment

Yeah, but there's nobody wathcing you and you can legally do whatever you like to that animal. You can kill it with just one bullet or you can injure it.......and then injure it some more.....

Do they breed these animals just for hunting or do people just kill them until there are none left and then move to another area?
              '91 LX

Comment

no no no. Its nothing like that. Rangers are constantly driving around in hunting areas and asking for id's and licenses and all sorts of stuff. You have to apply for a tag to hunt a certain type of animal. On the more common species like whitetailed deer and rabbits, there is usually an unlimited number of tags they give out because there is soooooo ****ing many of those animals. On the less common species, like moose and bears, theres only a certain number of tags given out, and those are at a costly price. So legally there is only a certain number of animals that are allowed to be killed in the wild. This of course dosent stop poaching but there realy isnt that many poaching cases in colorado. There are like hundreds more rules and regulations and ****. So its pretty well done, and most hunters actually try and kill the animal not just injure it. its also required for any hunter born on or afrer 1948 to go thru hunters safety classes. This class teaches the hunters about proper killing techniques and gun safety and hunter etiquette and all sorts of stuff. Usually its like 3 5-9 hour classes that you take. So most people are usually good hunters that are in it for a good reason.
                Eat ****.

Comment

Identity_X, hunting is a very regulated "sport" nowadays. course back in the day, hunting was for survival so your family could eat. now that is rarely the case anymore, but most hunters do keep the meat to eat. i love venison. it's a very lean meat, and some don't like it, but i'm accustomed to it. venison jerky is my favorite snack in many areas it's illegal to hunt large game with a weapon that cannot kill the animal with one hit, so there is less likely going to be a wounded deer running through the woods. and if by chance the incompetant hunter can't catch the wounded animal, the wolves will put it out of it's misery yeah, it might sound sick, but that is all part of the circle of life:p: most people's views are based on where they were raised. all my friends that were raised in the big cities think hunting is a disgusting, savage practice that should be stopped. but all my friends that grew up in smaller towns, or are from areas where hunting is more common, they have opposite views. look at the school in minnesota where they give gun safety courses. it's a public school, where the teachers are suggesting that students bring their own gun to school for the course. back years ago that was how it used to be. i know plenty of people that remember when the could bring their hunting rifle to school, so they could leave school and go hunt. and back then you didn't have **** like columbine, and these crazy white kids shooting up schools cause they are "outcasts" times have definitely changed, whether for the better or worse is up to you

Comment

I am pretty sure that hunting is strictly regulated, especially here in the states. Yes, back in the day hunting was needed for survival and that's what makes it ok. You need to kill the animal so you could live. This pales in comparison to todays hunting where people do it for the "sport". You are not doing it for survival but for fun.......that's what I am having trouble understanding. I don't think it matters that much where you grow up and how you are raised. I grew up in Eastern Europe where, as you may know, people are savages........I mean, they'd kill anything that moves. I admit that I used to kill little birds when I was a kid, maybe a squirrel once in a while, but now I look it at as being some stupid childish crap. I would never go out and kill a squirrel for fun now, let alone a deer or even a bear. I understand where you guys are coming from but what bothers me is how one can have a desire to destroy something that contributes to the whole picture of things. Say you are in a beautiful mountain, surrounded by trees and wild animals........how could cutting a tree or killing an animal bring you pleasure ???? It just seems very odd to me that's all........
                    '91 LX

Comment

to each his own i was raised with my uncles bow hunting mostly. way more challenging than using a rifle, but even with a rifle, it still can be very challenging. hunting is also a bonding experience between men, fathers and sons, etc. it's a weekend trip away from the wife and sister, whatever. and people get pleasure from different things. i love destroying things, mainly with explosives others love killing large game. others love to eat. others love to protest everything. everyone is different and has different tastes

Comment

This is almost a complete thread jack.
                        A couple summers ago Me and some guys from work got addicted to the game Big Buck Hunter. That game was the shiznit.
                        We would almost spend more money on that game than we would on beer. And we spent alot on beer.
                        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I grew up on a farm and most everyone around hunted. I hunt pheasant, quail, duck, goose, cottontail, squirrel, dove, prairie dog, dear, elk, pronghorn antelope, and many others. I also love to fish. And BTW, I eat everything I shoot, or I give the meat away to charities. The main reason I hunt is to get out and see friends once or twice a year that I hardly ever get to see anymore. That is the main reason I like to hunt. I don't even care if I get anything, and lately I have been taking out my nephew, and teaching him about hunting. I don't even carry a gun much when I am with him.

Comment

Hunting does serve a good ecological purpose, even wiht the wolves and other predators up here there is an over abundance of deer. Deer do quite well in modern human habitats and overpopulate themselves. Human hunting, along with wolves, etc, helps keep the population in check so diseases like CWD and TB are kept down. Also helps with keeping less damage to crops, cars and fewer starving deer. In MN anyway Deer are becoming a major nuisance. Bear are also.
                            As for eating we always field dress (gut), process adn eat our deer ourselves. We give a good deal of it away to other family members who don't or can't hunt. and BTW my mother is one of the ones that loves venison!
                            I understand reasons why some people hunt. What I don't like is people who want "nature" to take it's course. Unfortuneatly in modern times humans are nature.
                            2003 Protege5
                            Midnight Blue MTX
                            2002 Protege LX
                            Black Mica MTX

Comment

Originally posted by jlanger
                              Unfortuneatly in modern times humans are nature.
                              That IS very unfortunate...............
                              '91 LX

Comment

I used to date a girl whose whole family was big into hunting. They live in the middle of Wisconsin, and they hunt deer, turkey, you name it. They even had family trips to Alaska to hunt caribou and moose.

I can't do it. One, I don't like guns. Not used to em, don't feel comfortable around em. Two, and more important, I'm squeamish. I'll admit it. I can't even gut a fish, which is why on those rare occasions I go fishing, it's strictly a catch-and-release type thing.

So one year, I get feeling bad about the fact that I never go hunting with them, but I'm perfectly willing to eat the venison. I decide that since I can't kill, I should at least help them butcher. BIG mistake. Let's just say I had breakfast, walked outside, saw the deer hanging there, and had breakfast in reverse.

I understand the need for population control, and I can sorta see the appeal of the hunt, but I hope people understand why I let Hormel take care of the less appealing parts of my dinner before it gets to my kitchen...
                                ~Mark.
                                2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

Working...
                                X