Descriptive piece..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Descriptive piece..

Yeah, this is my literary working. I'm taking an english comp class and I'm just looking for some feedback guys. Anything constructive would greatly be appreciated.

The Jetty...

The lights and sounds of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>New Hope</st1:place></st1:City> are comforting in a way. I usually see much of the riverside communities of the <st1:State><st1:place>Delaware</st1:place></st1:State> as being uninviting and even somewhat treacherous at night. The very notion conjures up unsettling images and a sense of mystery for what lurks in the shadows. This particular place, however, is a diamond in the rough. It’s vivid lights and lively settings invite every walk of life. Even still, there was one evening I will remember the beauty of this town in a very alluring sense.

It was a chilly autumn night. The clouds had rolled across the night sky like a warm blanket. They made sure the celestial gods would not rear their brilliance. The air was graced by the humid and musty smells of the flowing river. The odor summoned up memories of a cold morning’s fog. The place I found myself was on a long and weathered concrete jetty on <st1:City><st1:place>New Hope</st1:place></st1:City>’s opposing shore. It stuck out like a long arm from the river bank to hold back the strong current. Dead trees lied scattered against the structure. Their strong roots were torn up and set adrift by violent rain storms. Their bare branches stuck up eerily against the night sky. The end of this jetty had become my vantage point.

The tip of this pier was a large semi-circle made of poured concrete. It’s rough edges were bordered by large granite blocks; they were packed together tightly with mortar bridging their joints. The rocks cast back a faint sparkle with each passing of my flash light’s beam. Dangling my feet over the edge, I looked off into the distant night sky. The thick lining of clouds reflected the street lights of <st1:City><st1:place>New Hope</st1:place></st1:City>. This gave a splendid aura that reached across the river valley and flooded the cold night with a warming glow.

I saw the majestic silhouette of the hills of Lambertville over my shoulder. The tree tops left the only hint of where the sky ended and the earth began. Down stream, I could see the river cascading over a sea of boulders. The soothing sound of flowing rapids filled my surroundings. This rhythmic song silenced crickets and owls that usually line the river’s edge. For this moment, their existence would simply be denied.

Gazing up stream, I could see a bulky metal bridge spanning the river. Its piers and deck were brightly lit by yellow orbs lining the steel trusses. The overpass reflected gracefully off the surface waters, waving and distorting with each change in current. Tires that droned along the bridge’s grated deck were also silenced by the river rapids.

Glancing towards <st1:City><st1:place>New Hope</st1:place></st1:City>, I could finally see a side of the town few had ever glimpsed. The river bank was lined with cobblestone and concrete walls, with brick buildings perched atop. The structures glowed brightly through their windows, almost like glimmering white stars. The street lights emanated proudly, outlining the building tops and lighting the riverside cafes. The rumble of cars and boisterous bar patrons were silent. The bustling streets of this art community had finally come to rest. The only voice spoken was that of the <st1:State><st1:place>Delaware</st1:place></st1:State>.

This autumn night was almost like a dream. Thoughts flowed through my head carelessly as the warm embrace of the atmosphere had settled upon me. Although it was cold and cloudy, my spirits were lifted high above the stress of life. The river current cast my senses adrift; the lights and sounds of this tranquil place almost seemed unreal.

omg your gay

Comment

I hate discriptive crap like this...I'm likewise taking a college comp class and my work is usually as my posts are - in an easy to understand every day language. Like a speaking tone.

Your work there, while it might be great for a children's book, is too, uhh...what Rob said. You need to drop the "like a warm blanket", "glimmering like white stars", etc. This is all girly cuteness that just makes me want to spew all over the monitor as I read it.

Here's my rendition of what you wrote, in a more manly manner:

It was a chilly autumn night. The clouds rolled across the night sky. The crisp air was spoiled by the humid and musty smells of the flowing river. The odor summoned up memories of my grandma's basement. I found myself on a long and worn concrete jetty on New Hope’s opposing shore. It stuck out like a long arm from the river bank to hold back the strong current. Dead trees lied scattered against the structure. Their strong roots were now torn up and rotting after violent rain storms. Their bare branches stuck up in the night sky. The end of this jetty had become my final destination.

The tip of this pier was a large semi-circle made of poured concrete. It’s rough edges were bordered by large granite blocks; they were packed together tightly with mortar poured between them. The rocks cast back a faint metallic shine with each passing of my flash light’s beam. Sticking my feet over the edge, I looked off into the distant night sky. The thick clouds reflected the street lights of New Hope. This light illuminated across the river valley and flooded the night with a vivid glow.

Hope that helps any...

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

too long & gay to read....
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Lol!
          I Do not own a Mazda anymore!

Comment

have to say i'd go with mazkid...less fluff, and the only time fluff is good is in a fluffer.
            proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Prototender
              have to say i'd go with mazkid...less fluff, and the only time fluff is good is in a fluffer.
              Fluff you, you fluffin' fluff, and fluff you're your little motherfluffin dog too.

Comment

wow, just goes to prove my point....only good fluff, is a fluffer. lol
                proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

First and foremost, thanks guys and especially Mazkid. My fundamental problem with descriptive writing is it's like ripping out teeth for me. If anything, the best I can do is ADD fluff. As for actually sounding like my testicles exist, it'd be too hard to for me to 'fake it'. I wish I had that kind of knack for writing. After reading the passage you've written twice, it doesn't fit the overall tone and goal of my paper. Nonetheless, it's very well written. It has more of an objective tone to it (easily rewritten to remove emotional and personal reflections). At least thats the way it reads to me. Thanks for your input guys.

Comment

Hooray for constructive criticism

Comment

Speaking of fluff.. gotta love Peanut butter and fluff sandwhiches.. pure cholesterol overload

Comment

mmmmm peanuuuuut buuuuutter

Comment

I just faked an essay last week. I signed up for college comp but there was a mix up and I was put in a "service learning" college comp class...that means we actually have to do crap outside of class and then write about it. Sucks! Our first essay, we were supposed to ride St. Louis's uhh beautiful...sure...public transportation and write about people we saw on the way.

Due to my "Jewishness"(yeah I am Jewish so I'm not being racist or anything) there was no way I'd pay to ride a stupid bus or train when I have a Protege to take me anywhere, and it costs money damnit. So I freggin faked it. The only part I screwed up on was that we were supposed to describe the people and I didn't do it. I tried to make it sound like it was such a horrible experience that I couldn't remember the people but it didn't exactly work. My teacher didn't know I faked it, even brought up that other people faked it and said it was a fake in thier papers, that's just dumb. I got a C on it, but that's fine since I saved myself the gas to get to the station and the money to ride the thing, and especially my time.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

gay

didnt really read it....just....felt like following the crowd...oh yeah and peanut butter and fluff sandwitches are amazing...especially with honey....
                            Last edited by 91ProtegeDX; 10-04-2005, 12:08 AM.
                            1991 Mazda protege DX (SOHC) 5spd
                            Short ram cold air
                            stock muffler back on
                            NGK plugs
                            14inch miata steelies w/toyo proxes p185/60r14 82H - back
                            13inch protege steelies w/toyo proxes S rated - front
                            stripped a/c

1993 saab 9000cse turbo 5/spd
                            Garrett TB-25, solenoid cut off at 17psi
                            Gutted cat w/borla muffler
                            Aero spec clutch (7k miles old)
                            Running 5w20 full synthetic...(241,***)
                            16inch Aero rims
                            Aero Moldings
                            Bridgestone Potenza 205/55VR16 91V - all 4

Comment

hrumph hrumph hrumph. i'd like to say good job on the fake a c is still passing so who the f cares

Comment

Working...
                              X